Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker Add

Blog Entries

Woodpecker Add

A pretty square for only $99. I think I will Pass.
    I am happy with my Lowe's speed square.

Do they really sell those things?

Yes they do. I have their 1281 square, mini square, saw gauge, 36 inch straight edge rule, and shelf pin template. Quality American made tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uge77cHr-WA

I would imagine they sell a fair amount of them. The only wood pecker square I have is a 36" t-square that was just over a $100 I believe. My combination squares are all Starrett and while I usually by them on e-bay for $40-$50 they retail around $100, most of my squares are in or over the $100 range including my framing squares which are Chappell stainless steel.

For the me the square I use the most is a Starrett 6" combination square.

The additional cost does translate to better quality, usually made in the U.S.A., with higher degrees of accuracy. A cheap speed square is great for framing and indispensable in that regard but for anything other than rough work I do not use one in the shop. My other squares all have more particular uses and lend themselves to furniture and cabinetry better than a speed square.

While I find the additional accuracy important I also just like using top of the line equipment and enjoy having quality made tools.

Now that you have just made me do some quick math on how much I have spent on "squares" I'm starting to feel bad myself, lets not even get into chisels..

So while I'll recommend you look at alternatives to your speed square, I'll warn you that this is a deep and very expensive rabbet hole.

To each his own. With very few exceptions, I haven't regretted any of my WP tools. A few I could have survived without, but most are used regularly.

Every time I feel like they're too expensive, I remember why that is.

Gee, those 1281 style squares look exactly like my 100 year old Goodell-Pratt pattern makers squares... Wonder who they borrowed the idea from????

Neil Gaskin: Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Do they really sell those things?
    I'm sure they do.

Sometimes we're looking for "value" in a tool. Sometimes we want an excellent tool and are willing to pay the price. I've never regretted paying top dollar for a top quality tool.

I have never regretted my Woodpecker purchases.

I have junky squares and levels that I throw around on trivial jobs and where they are likely to be abused. I also have great stuff from Woodpecker's, Incra, Starret, etc for precision jobs and use where I will be very careful with the tool. I don't own THAT square but I own their $70 carpenter's square, and love it. Yes, it hurt when I paid for it, but I love using it every time I grab it. I also have the 24" ruler with the end stop.

Now I want to buy the one you posted about.

While I would never pay $99 for that particular square, I have too much Starrett to throw stones, even if I did buy most of it used.

That said, I usually do that kind of work with vintage Stanley try squares I picked up on the cheap. I'm getting to where the 1/8" line I can see easily is more useful than the 1/64" I can't. The Starrett squares get used more for the adjustable head feature.

Also, they stand behind the products. I got a DP table kit that was warped. They simply asked for a photo so they could see the issue themselves, and shipped out another table.

I have the 1281 Quality made in the USA.....Dead on accuracy.....Well worth it in my book

Yep, I own three! The 641, 1281 and the big 26". And a lot of other Woodpeckers tools. Really NOTHING else like them on the market. Kinda like Festool, just the super high price for the top of the line offering.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

They're the woodworker version of gourmet cupcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    They're the woodworker version of gourmet cupcakes.
    I do like me a good cupcake, maybe not all the time, but every once in a while...