Thread: hand tool shop

hand tool shop

Hey guys

I guess the fundamental question is garage vs basement shop (assuming at my present location there is no option to build a dedicated shop building).

I am contemplating my shop space. Right now I have half of a two car garage as my power tool shop and then my basement as my hand tool shop. Garage is heated but not air conditioned although is under the house so does not get too terrible in the summer.

In theory this works well, rough processing is done in the garage with power tools if I want and then moves into the basement shop for hand tool work. The problem is I just in general like the garage space better, the basement has only natural light through one window well is an unfinished basement, even adding led shop lights to technically solve the lighting problem still leaves it a basement.

As I do more hand tool work I think I could move some more portable tools and get a work bench into the garage. If the miter saw and grinder which share a miter saw stand went onto a shelf and the stand got folded up, and my barely used router table migrated to the basement I could keep the lathe, bandsaw, and drill press along the back wall and keep my stand up tool chest and my milwaukee rolling tool bench on the side wall (where general home repair tools are kept), and have room for a hand tool work bench and hand tool wall remaining on the side wall.

I would have three big windows with natural light and in the summer be able to work with the door open. Is there a downside that I am missing? Other than just less overall space I guess.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    Hey guys

would have three big windows with natural light and in the summer be able to work with the door open. Is there a downside that I am missing? Other than just less overall space I guess.
    Hi Brandon, I enjoy your posts – seems to me you ask a lot of good questions.

FWIW, my view is maximize natural light and airflow (I live in SoCal with warm climate) are primary drivers of shop location. The more hand tool work you do, and the older you get, the more critical, frankly essential, quality lighting becomes. Beyond that, I personally love the airflow and space that comes from working in an open shop (like a garage with the overhead door open). Great way to meet the neighbors!

Best, Mike

Step into the light. It would be one thing to stick with a basement shop if you didn't have any other alternatives, but if you have a garage space with three big windows, I don't know why you would hesitate. Go for it. You can always rearrange if you find yourself using more powertools.

Hi Brandon,

My shop in Mpls was basically in a single garage stall, 15' x 21' in a carriage house, and it had most of the tools that you saw in my current one in it. I did have the advantage of having two 21' walls, which helped with layout. I was also able to store things in other parts of the carriage house.

With mobile bases, you can do a lot in a pretty small space. Growing up, my dad's shop took half of a two car garage and we still parked a car in the shop side, and he had the full complement of tablesaw, bandsaw, sander, drill press, lathe, jointer, a couple of work benches, and a wood stove.

There is probably some acceptable layout that will allow you to keep all your power tools (or almost all) and still allow enough room for hand tool work. And yes, that light thing does become even more important as you age.

Ok thanks everyone, I was pretty sure I wanted to make the change but now am pretty much positive. I think the only thing I have to ditch (not get rid of but move to a less convenient location) in my current garage shop layout is the miter saw and router table, but both are rarely used anymore and can be stored and brought back into service in all of 10 minutes. It will be worth it to get my hand tool stuff out of the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    the only thing I have to ditch (not get rid of but move to a less convenient location) in my current garage shop layout is the miter saw and router table, but both are rarely used anymore and can be stored and brought back into service in all of 10 minutes.
    Brandon,
    Here's and idea that might help you save space. I use my router table as the stand for my miter saw. I keep the router lowered below the table (I seldom use it). I put the saw on top. I use that saw a lot for crosscutting. I made a short fence for the saw that can be extended when needed. So two tools fit in a footprint that's probably 2 ft x 4 ft including that saw fence. Works very well for me.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Brandon,

I am in the process of moving from a basement shop with near unlimited space to a smaller house with more limited space. We have a large two car garage, seperate from the house, which I was thinking I might use. We decided we might rent the Carriage House aptm over it and or use the garage for dogs or dog training.

There is a small 15’x21’ garage, under the house, which has heat and air in it making it a little crowded for a shop, even though I drive a Mini Cooper. I have temporarily moved horse stall matts, which we used to train dogs on, into what eventually will be an exercise room. For now the room has my hand tool shop in it too. I am glad to be off the concrete floor in my larger basement shop. Flooring is another important consideration. I am trying not to get use to rubber horse matts over padded carpeting.

My ultimate solution is to add a space below the porch on the back of the new house, where I can add a shop with windows. As others have said direct sunlight becomes more and more important as ones eyes age.

Porches, particularly porches with roofs, may make a good place to add a shop. Their typical location on the perimeter of the house may make the addition of windows easy. The porch above often benefits from turning the supporting timbers into actual walls. The house I am selling does not have any porches that have not been enclosed. Such enclosures make good places to: house dogs, gardening tools, build shops.... as well, which may increase the value of the home.

3009C8D9-A961-405C-AEDE-4D219A915FED.jpg

This was the entrance to the new house. Maybe the single car garage is visible under the porch. The supports below the original porch had to be replaced, which was fine with the wife, as she did not like the entrance to house. Below is the new entrance. This may serve as a place to roll machines into where they may be used without the need for a vacum system. This area is 10’x16’ which may be a little small for a hand tool shop or a garage.

215CD165-D586-42D3-BDB5-6ED5F64E2AB3.jpg

The pictures below show the inside and outside area which may get extended to provide a place for a new hand tool shop. The hand tool shop is currently in the room just behind this porch.

35ACDDB1-2E8C-4041-93E6-7CA783201DBB.jpg

C07BEC6D-C2BF-40EE-8949-616455BC78FD.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-07-2018 at 2:34 PM. Reason: Change picture

Mike,
    What a beautiful place to live and play. Love all the stonework. I'm envious.

Just don’t leave that poor MINI out in the elements . :wave:

(own a ‘08 last of the supercharged)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Chet, can not wait to get moved permanently, with all my tools in one spot.

Tony, the wife says her 06, first Mini was the last of the Supercharged Minis. I try not to argue with her. She called it El Kabong. She and my daughter were hit by a guy doing 60, who crossed the yellow line. Not a scratch on either person or the two dogs in the car. Unfortunately El Kabong was totaled. Now we have three. The wife and I and our daughter all drive Minis.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-07-2018 at 2:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mike, I share Chet's envey- your new place looks awesome! Best of the luck building out the shop. I look forward to seeing the pictures!

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    I think the OP got answers to his questions and moved on, so rather than continuing within this thread I will start a new thread concerning my new shop, although it may take a little while. I like adding pictures to illustrate, which I can not take from the location I am at now....
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-15-2018 at 8:11 AM.

Mike
    I for one am really looking forward to following you on your new adventures.

I would not keep two separate shops in the same location/house. It is simply not efficient and you have to duplicate some of the basic amenities or tools, like measuring tools and lighting. In the UK, we see many resourceful woodworkers pursue their woodworking in one small single garage or a tiny shed.

Consider what you really want to do and focus on the tools that are needed to achieve that. Get rid of the other tools and machines if you can't fit them into whatever one shop you are going to set up. To have two shops in the same house is to me is to have a storage space for tools you seldom use. Don't be a tool vendor! There is always a way to cut fat whether you are power tool guy, a dedicated hand tool user or a mix of both. I have seen many shops that are great with tools but not with actions. A guy I know owns close to 100 chisels -- vintage and modern -- but I bet 90% of them are seldom used to never been used. He has many other tools (power and hand) that he is not using.In one word, he is unfocused. Do you want to be a tool guy or an action guy? Only you can answer.

The only exception: If you use a second storage (basement or shed) to keep your lumber.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 05-15-2018 at 11:10 AM.