Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any use for pallet wood?

Made a few urns out of them. No complaints so far.
    Dick

Where have you been? Try Googleing Upcycling. Using pallet wood has been an interesting endeavor. You can, IF you find the right market, charge MORE for furniture that you make with FREE wood.....
    You NEED a drum sander, or expect to lose several planer blades. A metal detector, or lose a few table/miter saw blades. Or, I use a 10 buck blade from the Depot. A recip saw with a metal blade makes quick work of a pallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Good first step. But I would also be concerned with what was transported on them. Leaking chemicals transported on a pallet would make the wood bad for toys and some other usages. Make sure they are not used for anything toxic. But there in lies the problem; you never know their full history. About all you can do is eyeball them.
    Agreed, I have used some dunnage, marked HT for some shop projects, I doubt I would ever use it for children's toys or anything that would come into contact with food.

To be clear. All the points listed are good ones.

But I have used pallets anyway to make a couple of end tables. A foyer bench and some table center pieces. They are a real pain to disassemble and they can really muck up your blades. But as someone pointed out they are good for "rustic" projects and lots of people want that type of stuff. Just not for projects that may be used around food or chewed on by kids. And make sure you have protection when sanding as you don't know how toxic the wood can be.

Lots of books and Youtube videos on the subject.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I'd grab a few, to use for storing things off the floor in the shop & garage, maybe for storing wood.

My experience with pallet wood is that it's pretty lame wood. The stuff I tried was warped. By the time I got through straightening it out, not much was left. And the wood, itself, was not very good.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
    Made a few urns out of them. No complaints so far.
    Dick
    I've been dying to try that.

I just gave away a few pallets to a woman who plans to make a patio of some sort from them. Real redneck trash, so I assume either she will die trying because she's nuts or make a beautiful deck because she's the clever breed of redneck. The pallets had held manure and concrete blocks. The concrete blocks left a lot of silica dust (dangerous to you) and embedded concrete pieces (danger to your tools).

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I'd grab a few, to use for storing things off the floor in the shop & garage, maybe for storing wood.
    Oh yeah, I used mini-pallets as a base for my air compressor and drill press. We used to have the lathe on a cut-down full pallet. Those are OK tasks for them.

It depends on the pallet. Most of the ones I have seen are made of complete junk wood. However, I found one about 7 feet long about 12 years ago in a Lowes parking lot and made an under-extension-table cabinet out of it for my tablesaw. A while back--longer than 12 years ago--somebody on one of the forums said that lawn tractor companies in Asia often exported their products on pallets made out of really fine exotic woods. I don't know if they still do.

I have probably 50 stocked up outside my shop. They are more trouble than worth to take apart in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Great advice on the hazards. I had not given that thought.
    Tearing pallet boxes apart was nearly a full time job at the shop years ago. Paid some dues at it myself as a young man.