Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic Featherboards- Safety vs Cost

Smile Magnetic Featherboards- Safety vs Cost

I was interested in everyones opinion regarding the magnetic feather boards that are popular at the woodworking shows. I am always looking for ways to be a safer woodworker and willing to spend $100 to avoid a $500 Doctor/Emergency Room visit. Do any of you have these and what are your experiences or comments. I have a Woodcraft 10% saving coupon for my B-Day and thought I might try to get myself something new.

Thanks, Dennis
    The truth is always visible but often not seen.
    Measure twice, and cut--WAIT!-- better measure again then cut once, twice or whatever it takes to fit.

I own and use two of them. I've had them for several years and haven't begrudged the cost once!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Blog Entries

Grip Tite Feather boards

A number of years ago I went to a woodshow and watched a demo on teh Grip Tite Magnetic feather boards. My wife urged me to get them. I must admit it was one of the better investments I've made. They work very well and they are extremely easy to use. I had lots of home made and a couple of purchased feather boards before and they were used once in a while for really tricky cuts. I also had used the roller system that my father had purchased for his table saw. All of these were a pain to set up and usually got in the way as much as they helped.

The magnetic feather boards are attached to the legs of my saw when they aren't on the table suface being used. It literally takes 2 seconds to get one in place and they stay put. They come off the saw just as easily. Here is how I use them to make raised panels on my TS.

Make sure you get the steel plate so you can attach them to your fence for ripping. You can see the plate in the background on the fence in the photo above. The rollers you can see are for ripping. You can stop a cut in mid rip even on maple with no burn marks on your wood with the feather boards.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yes

I find them usefull and have owned a pair for about 10 years.

Noticed this one (Grip-tite Magnetic Featherboard) in the Lee Valley cat for @$50 and was thinking about it myself. Don't know how it compares to others, however I think L.V. has a reputation for selecting good products and fair pricing.
    For some reason had to search a bit to find it in their on-line site.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...34&cat=51&ap=8

Question What about bandsaw's

All the discussion that I can find for these things seems to refer to their use with table saws.

I was thinking of getting some sort of magnetic featerboard for use with my bandsaw. I would like to hear pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    All the discussion that I can find for these things seems to refer to their use with table saws.

I was thinking of getting some sort of magnetic featerboard for use with my bandsaw. I would like to hear pros and cons.
    Frank, I have seen them used with jointers as well. I don't see why they couldn't be used in any situation as long as they can be attached a metal surface.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I use the Grip Tite featherboards on my bandsaw. The Aggazani has a shallow miter gauge slot and the magnets work well against the table. On a jointer , I use them to apply downward pressure if I am working alone and have long boards.

On the tablesaw , I use the Board Buddies ...it really works well. Mostly just one behing the blade so there is no problem pushing through.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I use the Grip Tite featherboards on my bandsaw. The Aggazani has a shallow miter gauge slot and the magnets work well against the table. ....
    Thanks Mark, the shallow miter gauge slot is exactly the situation that I have with my ACM bandsaw.

Good morning all,
    I've used these feather boards for over ten years and have worn out the plastic "springs". Lee, thanks for the picture. My boards don't have the rollers, as shown on yours, or the release lever on the end. How do these "extras" work? I may have to send mine in to the "Pimp My Featherboard Show" and get them updated.

I find them very useful on the BS and the joionter as well. John.

I have a pair and use them a lot on my TS and on my jointer to keep the board tight against the fence. I cannot use them on my table router becasuse the table is not metal and I have a Rockler table on my BS ( covering the metal table). Well worth the investment. Clamping feather boards to the table saw was a pain.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I think the "secret" to the mag feather boards is their ease of use. I find the easier something is to use, the more likely I'll use it, which adds that additional level of safety. In other words, even for that single "quick cut", I'm more apt to still make that cut in a safe manner, rather than rush it through, which is often part of the formula for an accident. I've had mine for several years now and it basically never gets "put away".
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    I think the "secret" to the mag feather boards is their ease of use. I find the easier something is to use, the more likely I'll use it, which adds that additional level of safety. In other words, even for that single "quick cut", I'm more apt to still make that cut in a safe manner, rather than rush it through, which is often part of the formula for an accident. I've had mine for several years now and it basically never gets "put away".
    Very good point, John. I put off the purchase of the mag units because I had several of the old style "clamp in the slot" varieties. I recently bought two of the mag style and am finding that I actually do use them.
    The less you know, the less likely you are to be subpoenaed.

Fred

I use them on the TS, Jointer and router table (LV table is steel), I really like them and they are well worth the $$$...IMO

Sliced bread has nothing on these mag feather boards....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.