Thread: LV casting molds.

LV casting molds.

I just acquired a new LV plane. The handle now has one screw instead of 2 screws. The tote now does not have a screw head to tighten from the top.
    I am wondering if the molds have changed over the years? If I can still use my old handles on the newer planes. Can someone verify?

Hi John

Relax . Probably the new Custom handle.

Here is an cut-and-paste extract from my article on the Custom planes ....

Handles and Knobs

Are you aware that the new Veritas handles for the new bevel down planes fit the “old” bevel up planes? Yep, they do.

I imagine that this is not immediately apparent since the new handles appear to require a single bolt, where the old handles required two bolts.

This thought is but skin deep. Below the handle are two bolts – just that one is a stub bolt used to align the handle, and the other holds it secure …

I decided to replace the handle on my BUS.

This required shortening one of the rods (for the stub), and cutting a short length of brass pipe as a spacer for the other rod (since the new handles use a longer screw top – above, the new steel vs the old brass screw tops).

Below is the handle on my BUS (which may not look familiar as I modified it by machining the sides).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Much prefer those sides, Derek! Did you do that yourself or find someone to grind?

Ground them myself, Kevin On a belt sander.

Regards from Perth

Derek

TQ Derek. Good I can sleep now!