Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digital Caliper Preferences

I have several from Harbor Freight. They seem to be accurate according to my Woodpecker gauge blocks. I don't cry when I drop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I'd go one further and say that, even though I know Bill is looking for advice on a digital caliper, that having used both, I would strongly recommend an analog dial caliper as faster and more reliable than anything that requires a battery. The Starrett 1202F-6 is a gem in the dial caliper for woodworkers space. It reads in 64ths, to an easily repeatable precision of 1/128". I've got two (because I damaged the first one, I thought beyond simple repair, so bought a second and then was able to repair the first), and find them among the most used measuring tools in my shop.

But yes, they are a bit pricey.
    My favorite analog caliper for general shop use is a fairly cheap one, marked in fractions of an inch but also with hundredths like the Starrett. I use it so much I got a second one in case I damaged or lost it.

caliper_fractions.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FRGF1Q

I've had my eye on the similar Starrett but have not yet saved enough pennies.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have several from Harbor Freight. They seem to be accurate according to my Woodpecker gauge blocks. I don't cry when I drop them.
    Zounds, drop a digital (or analog) caliper??? Ah, I've just remembered why I don't loan tools.

I don't think I've ever dropped one in years of use. I do keep those I use the most in a shallow, padded drawer just a few inches below the workbench, and they go back in the drawer after each use.

JKJ

Also, find one that has an Auto Off feature...nothing more frustrating than accidentally turning it on while reaching for something next to it and seeing the faint glow of a fading readout a week later.

Dial calipers have a lot going for them but not in a woodworking environment. They work with a tiny gear rack and pinion. Errant chips or dust in the gear rack can cause movement problems.

I really like this one from Harbor Freight.

It's plenty accurate enough for woodworking & machine setup.

I cross check it against the pair of these I have, also from Harbor Freight, if the measurement is critical - such as machine setup and/or at the reloading bench.

I do remove the batteries from them when not in use. I believe the better ones don't require this, but, the HF ones eat batteries even when off.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Mitotoyo digital.

-35 years so far, dropped 20 times,
    -lost several times, left on 100s of times
    -didnt eat batteries when you find it a few days later it simply does not use much battery, turned on tons of time in my belt same thing they simply dont use batteries compared to my thirsty other tools from name stores we all know, in fact ive returned two and have three of one that eats batteries so much I hardly use it, frustrating, digital angle finder,
    -sawdust so what, from time to time so what, so much it might become sticky, move it back and forth several times and its prefect again.

Looks like hell works perfect. bought a Lee as a back up never used and doesnt have a wheel, crappy, bought a second with a wheel still not like the Mititoyo only as a back up and it has inch fractions still havent used it

I average three years to a battery. it was pristine for the first year then its into the real world,

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Behrens View Post
    I bought a digital caliper from Harbor Freight about 10 years ago for about $10. It still works, and reads dead on against known standards. I would like to switch to a high quality dial cailper just to eliminate the electronics, since I use it for reloading also, but haven't found the need to upgrade yet. Maybe I got lucky, but I am impressed that it is still dead on after 10 years.
    I have two of that age from Harbor Freight, a 6" and a 12". They are as good as Brian says.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    My favorite analog caliper for general shop use is a fairly cheap one, marked in fractions of an inch but also with hundredths like the Starrett. I use it so much I got a second one in case I damaged or lost it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FRGF1Q

I've had my eye on the similar Starrett but have not yet saved enough pennies.

JKJ
    John -

I looked at the iGaging one when I bought my second. But I've got a square from them that I bought in a fit of "Starrett's too pricey" some years ago, and while it works and is accurate, it's fit and finish left me unhappy every time I used it until I spent a couple of hours chasing threads and polishing machine marks in the groove and follower.. The Starrett would have been cheaper, and I don't reckon I could fettle a dial caliper with comparable issues. So Starrett won.

I suppose, although a bit of Renaissance Wax on the works and care to not leave them laying about when sanding rather keeps that from being much of an issue. The one time it was for me, cleaning was ver simple and fast.

I have a dial caliper with two needles one for Metric one for English. Make sit easy to switch as needed.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I suppose, although a bit of Renaissance Wax on the works and care to not leave them laying about when sanding rather keeps that from being much of an issue. The one time it was for me, cleaning was ver simple and fast.
    No issues here, but I suspect it depends on how one works. As mentioned, I get mine out of the drawer, use them, then put them back and close the drawer. The drawer is behind me when at the lathe, and the workbench is mostly for planning and assembly rather than making chips. And most of the dust in the shop goes into the dust collector, perhaps that helps.

I use mine for woodworking. Bought it on Amazon 6 years ago for about $13. No less accurate than my Starrett

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Behrens View Post
    I bought a digital caliper from Harbor Freight about 10 years ago for about $10. It still works, and reads dead on against known standards. I would like to switch to a high quality dial cailper just to eliminate the electronics, since I use it for reloading also, but haven't found the need to upgrade yet. Maybe I got lucky, but I am impressed that it is still dead on after 10 years.
    I have one from Harbor Freight as well and it is accurate enough for any woodworking task. The price is right and the readings are repeatable. Batteries are a common tyoe so replacement is pretty cheap.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    I use mine for woodworking. Bought it on Amazon 6 years ago for about $13. No less accurate than my Starrett

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Different strokes, I guess. My Amazon account reminds me that I purchased that item in 2015. I remember that it had a habit of turning itself on while I wasn't using it, meaning that when I reached for it, it was dead. Threw it in the trash.