Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic vs Delta TS

Powermatic vs Delta TS

Don't mean to start an argument here. SWMBO has said that "Maybe you can use your bonus to buy one of those cabinet saws you've been talking about."

Took a quick peek at Amazon, and I can get the Delta for about $1850. The PM is about $2250. I've got a PM 6" jointer and have been very happy with it.

My question is, what makes the PM worth $400 more? I believe it weighs more and supposedly is a bit more heavy duty. I think its also still made in the US, but I'm still interested in your opinions. Especially those of you that have used both. Thanx.

Can't speak to the Unisaw, but I love my Powermatic 66. Very well made, good fence, no regrets. I bought a DJ-20 jointer as I didn't want to spend the extra money on the Powermatic, and in a lot of ways wish I had bought the Powermatic as the fence on the PM was better than the Delta. Being that a lot of PM is now made in Taiwan (don't know about the 66) I cannot say that it is still as good as it was. I do like the left tilt on the PM, but you can get it with a Unisaw as well.

the powermatic has a slightly heavier trunion, but both are good saws for the money, don`t discount general either, or jet for that matter. jet and delta are taiwan, general is canadian&powermatic is still made in tenn. i believe the powermatic is still using a baldor motor which is a good thing. tod
    Last edited by tod evans; 11-18-2005 at 11:40 AM. Reason: idiot spelling

I have both & they both are excellent saws.

Oh no-o-o-o-o-o! Here we go again!!! As stated, they are both good saws, as is the General but, for some reason, people keep forgetting about the Bridgewood BW10LTS as a very, very viable option when talking about the heavy trunion/frame assembly. AND, less $$$ than PM or General or Uni! Just something to consider.... I've had mine a couple years now and can't say enough good about it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I faced the same decision this past spring. I had it narrowed down to those two saws. My neighbor has a PM66. I ended up with the Unisaw. Both saws are fine. Don't fret the decision, just get one and don't look back.

Here's one thing to think about. Woodworkers supply currently has the Unisaw with mobile base for 1499, the Dewalt sliding table for 485, and the Uniguard for 288. The total is $2272. Thats only $22 more than the PM66.

Before I purchased my saw I called Delta and asked if the Unisaw was made in the USA, they said it was. When it arrived it had the "Made in the USA" sticker on it. It's moble base was made in the USA too. I purchased a DJ20 at the same time. It's moble base was made in china. Both mobile bases are of good quality.

I prefer the Unifence, the rest of my shop is Delta gray, and I knew the the Dewalt sliding table would fit on the Unisaw rather easily, so I got the Unisaw and I am VERY well pleased!

Would I make the same decision again? I would do it again in a heartbeat! The saw is wonderful. Having the sliding table is super nice. I feel much better about safty having a great guard on my saw. The Uniguard comes with a splitter that is EASILY removable. The Delta mobile bases are much nicer IMHO than the htc bases, more stable, beefier built and easier to activate/deactivate. For me the choice is/was very clear. Spend the additional $22.00 !!!

The bottom line ...... Both are fine saws, just get one and dont look back!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 11-18-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Gary, I have had a Unisaw since March. I got mine from Woodworker's Supply where I got a free mobile base and free shipping. I know that some others here took advantage of this as well. They still have the deal for $1499. I know that the fit and finish is nowhere near the PM, but for my needs, the Unisaw is just fine. That's where I would make the call concerning which to buy. Becuase I'm a hobbiest, I think I already have more machine than I'll ever need. So I saved some money and got some Festools - more tools that are way more than I need I know that the price difference isn't that much with the prices you quoted, but if you look around, the price difference can be quite a bit more than that. Regardless of your choice, you'll be very, very happy.

Gary, I'm going to try to state my theory of tool buying as it applies to these two saws in particular, and tool buying in general. Once you determine which features you want and need, and identify those tools which meet your requirents, one tool is just as good as another within a general price range.

If functionality were the only criteria, you'd probably be better off going with the cheaper tool. However, some tools have more "cache" than others and it all comes down to personal tastes, likes, disklikes and even a little bit of personality. To some people, that slightly larger trunion and nicer finish on the Powermatic table top make it the tool to buy. Others will look at the $400 difference and say its just not worth the $$$. Only you can decide which group you belong in.

Please keep in mind I am talking about comparing apples to apples, a unisaw to a powermatic, not a contractor saw to a unisaw or a 13" planer to a 20" planer.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Hunt
    I faced the same decision this past spring. I had it narrowed down to those two saws. My neighbor has a PM66. I ended up with the Unisaw. Both saws are fine. Don't fret the decision, just get one and don't look back.

Here's one thing to think about. Woodworkers supply currently has the Unisaw with mobile base for 1499.

Would I make the same decision again? I would do it again in a heartbeat!
    The bottom line ...... Both are fine saws, just get one and dont look back!
    Well Said and I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Gary, I have had a Unisaw since March. I got mine from Woodworker's Supply where I got a free mobile base and free shipping. I know that some others here took advantage of this as well. They still have the deal for $1499. I know that the fit and finish is nowhere near the PM, but for my needs, the Unisaw is just fine. That's where I would make the call concerning which to buy. Becuase I'm a hobbiest, I think I already have more machine than I'll ever need. So I saved some money and got some Festools - more tools that are way more than I need I know that the price difference isn't that much with the prices you quoted, but if you look around, the price difference can be quite a bit more than that. Regardless of your choice, you'll be very, very happy.
    Gary, Jason's post seems to be the "best deal" so far.....I also thought of John M. and his "Bridgewood 10LTS" machine....a viable option.

Just to go look at one - just for the heck of it - is a Sawstop. I mention this because Ken Waag lives in St. Louis and you could easily go take a peak. He may also have a 10 yr old Jet Cabinet saw (unless sold by now). Send me a PM if you want his email; he'd be happy to show you the Sawstop and talk shop.

I was going to get decent contractor's saw - but my wife made me get a cabinet!!!

Since you have a green light, I'd get the one you'd be most happy with-- because $400 or $1500 extra does "mellow" when you have the machine for the rest of your lilfe.

Gary - One other option to look at if you have $2000 to spend is the General 350 or 650. Just to muddy things up even more!

Dev wrote a great dissertation a few months ago when I asked a similar question. Basically he puts the General above the PM based on the type of casting it uses.

I've also seen the PM against the Bridgewood and I personally like the BW, nicer trunion. Alden Miller, who is a PM66 owner felt the same when we looked at them at Wilke a year ago.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    Gary - One other option to look at if you have $2000 to spend is the General 350 or 650. Just to muddy things up even more!

Dev wrote a great dissertation a few months ago when I asked a similar question. Basically he puts the General above the PM based on the type of casting it uses.

I've also seen the PM against the Bridgewood and I personally like the BW, nicer trunion. Alden Miller, who is a PM66 owner felt the same when we looked at them at Wilke a year ago.

Mike
    I knew John M. wouldn't give us biased info!!!!!

All the saws mentioned in this thread are good. I faced the same decision this summer. I ended up going with a General 650. I would buy that saw again or the 350.

~mark

i have the pm66,just love the color of baby poo in the morning.all kidding aside i faced this descision 2 years ago,looked at shop fox which i almost bought,unisaw,general,bridgewood and pm.i loved the fit and finish and the baldor motor,so i guess those were my deciding factors.the unisaw is a wonderful saw.you can't go wrong buying it.

Gary,

Did you see the PM66 on Craigs list - St. Louis? Not sure if it is still available...