Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane Till Completion Pictures

Gentlemen, Thank you for all the kind words!

You should know that the design is not entirely my own. I stole the general design from an open style built by Dave Anderson that you can see here. I simply extended the depth to account for the totes of the planes on the trays, and enclosed the sides, top, and added doors.

The door handles are not made from spare plane totes, but were designed to look like them. I traced an old Type 13 tote and tried to use different portions to create a pleasing shape, including a couple using the negative space. Here is the process:

Fear not lads, there is plenty of storage for future acquisitions!

Mario, how did I miss your post about your tool chest? You're right it would be an excellent companion piece to my plane till, send it right along; I'll even pay for shipping.

Paul, I've seen gas springs used before but at the moment the price makes them elusive. So currently I store very little under the tray with all the iron on it.
    ~Dan

Dan,

Outstanding work on the till......thanks for showing us the whole enchilada!!

Great cabinet - the doors look beautiful!!

Just one question Dan. What are general dimension of this till ? Width, height ...

Thanks !
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell)

Fantastic job Dan!!!! I'm glad to see that you got it completed. Mark is right in spite of your protestations though, 6 months to a year down the road it won't be big enough. Mine has been full since it was completed and the overflow is stashed in several other places.

Your choice of contrasting woods on the doors and the tote segment handles is truly artistic. Much more "high style" than my efforts. Ya dun good!!!!!
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Mario,

I wrestled with the dimensions for some time. My shop is in a single car garage bay so space is an issue, even for wall mounted cabinets.

I really don't have the vertical space for several rows of cubbies because this till sits above my workbench. And I didn't want too much depth either. By placing a plane on a board and raising/lowering the board angle I could measure the vertical where the tote stuck out and that determined the depth. Adding 3" for an small upper shelf where the trays hinged I came up with an approx 17" depth.

The width was determined by lining up the jointing planes and the jack planes I wanted to store on one tray, multiplying by two and adding the width of the trim and carcass sides. Tweaking that measurement with 3" cubbies and their 3/16" dividers I came up with ~33" wide.

Most of the height was deteremined from the tray angle during the depth measurement. I added ~6" for the cubbie height, and another 6" above the trays for room to lift the trays. This came out to around 35".

To be fair its early in the morning and the width and height measurements may be reversed, but you get the genereal idea.
    ~Dan

Beautiful cabinet...great work!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"