Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane Till Completion Pictures

Plane Till Completion Pictures

Way back in this thread I began the details of my construction of my plane till.

Well, I've finally finished the doors and gotten around to hanging it!

I'll not bother you will all the details but a few pictures of completion are in order.
    This was my second attempt at veneering and required a judicious amount of clamping cauls, cursing, and scraping:

After assembly, I masked off the veneer and applied a coat of Colonial Maple stain to the rails/stiles:

Once dry, I applied the first of three coats of a witches brew (tung oil, BLO, turpentine, and spar varnish).
    I used this for 3 reasons, I like the way it looks (used it on my chessboard), I had it on hand, and I ran out of shellac flakes :grin:

I struggled with the design of these doors for some time. As the veneer sheets I had were only 5 1/2" wide at their narrowest, and 22" long, I was challanged to fit them into the 8 panel areas.
    Even though the design, based on an approximate golden rectangle, allows for enough width to cover the span of the panels I opted to install Muhama {Berengia Discolora IIRC} "moldings" to surround the upper panel.
    I thought this would set off the Tiger Eucylptus veneer nicely from the similiarly colored Poplar. As I found I didn't have enough veneer to cover all the panels, I had to scrounge for a contrasting wood species for the bottom...Cherry fit the bill.

Continued...
    ~Dan

Anyway, here she is:

The left tool tray was supposed to be for speciality planes {routers, shaves, etc} but seem to be filling up with others:

Here's a detail of the handle I "designed". What do ya think? :grin:

As you can tell I have a little work to do yet: the right hand tray needed some tweaking to sit properly, and the door hardware needs some work.
    All in all, a rather enjoyable project. And now my planes are safely away from harm and dust.

Thanks for looking!
    ~Dan

WOW!

That is a great looking cabinet. I'm just wondering if you possibly made it too small?

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Are the door pulls bade from old plane totes? I like the door pulls. Very cool. This is an aspect I always struggle with and the pulls really look cool. Nice collection...er... tools as well.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Dan,

Great job! I really like the till. It's appealing to the eye and you've maximized the space very nicely. I too, like the handles/door pulls. I didn't recognize that they were a portion of a tote until I saw the clos- up. I like the angle/placement you chose for them.

Very nice!

Mike

nice job dan! handles are cool. tod

Nice job!!! I too really like the pulls, though probably never would have figured out their origin if not pointed out. Very efficient use of space, and the veneer turned out great, in spite of, or pehaps because of all of the cursing and gnashing of teeth.

The other Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Very nice! The doors turned out beautifully.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Dan, you plane till is very hot !

I think it could be a good friend in my shop for my tool chest.

Since I've seen yours, I'm obliged to build my own ... I don't have the choice ! You are expensive for me
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell)

Dan, I just notice that your door handles seem to be like the upper part of the rear handle of a plane. Am I right ?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell)

Very "Krenovian" and absolutely fantastic!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Too cool Dan, Way too cool!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Looks great Dan. I've been following your threads on it.
    Love the storage area behind the planes. Notice you have some extra knobs, totes stashed in there.
    Also think the door pulls are fantastic!!

Dan that is really beautiful and a clever idea to use hinged inner "doors" to enable storing specialty planes within. I've been looking at a lot of plane storage ideas from others including that amazing Studley tool chest and the only thing that you might want to consider is installing those piston style springs that they use on the trunk lids of hatchback cars to prevent the doors from slamming down. I don't know if they make them small enough but I'd hate to think of a batch of planes coming down hard because your hand slipped while raising or lowering one of those doors. Great job on the veneering.

Great job, Dan. The only problem I see is the same one that I experienced. You didn't build it big enough!