Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Season

Last year I found the best selling ornaments to be the "green edge" cast acrylic, looks like glass.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

[quote=Dave Strickler;245041]Hello Ed,

Welcome to The Creek. The wood ornaments in the picture are made from 1/8" red alder which I get from http://www.lazerwood.com/ .

Hi Dave,

I tried the http://www.lazerwood.com link and get a message that the web page cannot be displayed. Is this the correct link for "Lazerwood"? I'd like to check them out.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Mike, that post is almost two years old. It could be that they no longer operate under that URL.

Here are a few others to try:

http://www.coloradoheirloom.com/
    http://laserbits.com/
    http://www.smith-wood.com/
    http://www.cardsofwood.com/index.htm

Mitch
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Mike,
    I think the lazerwood site went out of business. You may want to try this link for Great Balls of Wood. They also sell wood strips, including alder.

http://www.gbow.com/

I'm off to golf course!! Have a great day everyone!

Dave Strickler

5. "I have tried the link to the berrybasket but it says they are off line. Does anyone know when they'll be back on line."

Smile

Thank you Mitchell and Dave...I'll check them out.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Thin Wood

Hi Mike;
    Check out this thread for thin wood info.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=ornaments
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

Ed Newbold Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang View Post
    Thanks for suggestions or lending a helping hand.
    Hi Ed! Fancy meeting you here! And welcome to the wild 'n wooly world of laser engraving. Like others, I did a booming business in Christmas ornaments last year and now is the time to get cranking on them.

Hope to see some of your creations on the board soon!

Ed Newbold Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strickler View Post
    With the holiday season almost upon us, Christmas ornament sales are already booming. I'm sure the ornaments pictured look very familiar to most of you. The demand for the photo ornaments in the middle of the picture has been incredible. It seems that for each one I sell, I get 3 more inquiries about them. Thanks again for this great forum. It is indescribable what a help it has been to me. Dave Strickler
    Hey Dave, are those complete .cdr files of the middle four ornaments or did you create them from .jpgs? I like the photo in the middle of the pointy snowflakes! Very cool!

Dave,
    I've had great success with my ornaments.... last year my best seller was one I designed myself, a christmas tree ornament for Hannukah. This year I'm going to see if i can't come up with another hannukah design.

Ed,

The Ornament designs are from The Berrybasket Ornament CD. They are in PDF format. The PDF files can be opened in Corel Draw, and the designs can then be ungrouped, copied, and treated like a normal vector file.

Like Barbara, I also have created a lot of original designs for the photo ornaments since I posted that picture almost 2 years ago. The snowflake design was the first I sold as a photo ornament, but I got a lot of requests for other designs. I now have 2 angel designs, snowmen, Christmas trees......... etc. Some were created from the Berrybasket CD and others are my originals. People in this area love the photo ornaments ( Central Pa. ). They are a relatively inexpensive, they are personal, and make a great gift for those hard to buy for relatives. I package them in white, square jewelry style boxes with black tissue paper inside which gives them a "classy", professional look.

Originally I charged $15.00 each plus tax for the photo ornaments, but last year I raised the price a bit to $20.00 each ( include 6% sales tax). None of my customers flinched a bit over the price increase. Pricing is still a problem for me with this type of product. I like to make a fair profit, but still keep the item affordable and not seem overly expensive to the customer. So, the mystery question is always, how high can I go without scaring too many customers away?

Dave Strickler
    Last edited by Dave Strickler; 09-10-2007 at 8:32 PM.

Dave,
    Last year I sold my photo ornaments (with engraved photo) for $24... however, I made three identical ornaments for that price (cost of the wood is minimal, and the work is already done after the first one). I also gave the customer the option of putting three different messages on the back. This worked out well because they got one for each set of grandparents and one for themselves... this year I will be raising the price to $29 for them.

Barbara

Zelma
    There are a number of snowlakes in your Corel draw clipart and some can be found in your font files.

In addition I would look in the font folder for a file called DF Calligraphic ornaments as there are some pretty neat things there as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Ed Newbold Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strickler View Post
    Most of the ornament designs came from http://www.berrybasket.com/Berrybask...endorID=AP-WDB
    Hmmm... when I visit that site I get an error message. Also, when I go to www.berrybasket.com I get this message:

Thank you for visiting Great American Scrollsaw Patterns - a Division of The Berry Basket. Our website is currently offline while revisions are being made. Please check back at a later date. If you need to contact us, please email us at bbasket@berrybasket.com . Thank you.

I really wanted to order that ornament CD from them, dang it.

?laserbits

I think laserbits is a reseller of the berrybasket holiday cd's.
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.