Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track saw to joint an edge

Track saw to joint an edge

Anyone use a track saw to joint the edge on rough cut lumber. I've got 8' boards that are 6/4 thick. Don't have a jointer and I'm not sure that I can get a straight enough cut on my table saw with the boards being so long.

Yup, quite frequently.
    I would plane the board first if possible since your edge won't be square to a finished face.

Used to edge all my wood with the tracksaw until I got a jointer.

Ed

I usually use a hand plane or jointer to improve the surface left by the tracksaw. It is quick and easy way to get a straight edge.

Hi,
    The track saw should do a good job of giving you a straight line edge. Just be sure not to use the finishing blade the saw probably came with. For the operation you're describing you'll need a low tooth count blade. I use a Freud 14T in my Makita track saw for thick lumber.
    Edwin

Theoretically, you can do this, but the quality of the edge is only going to be as good as 1) the board, itself is absolutely flat and 2) you are able to run the saw down the track with as little lateral or twisting movement as possible. (IE, your hands come into play) But it's likely you can get a good enough edge for joining two boards with quality glue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You need to flatten one face first, and then plane to a consistent thickness. Whatever choice of tools you use, whether with a powered jointer and planer, or by hand tools, it is critical not to skip this step. Otherwise, as already stated above, you will not have a square edge to the faces of the board. Using your track saw on "rough lumber", as you stated, is only going to frustrate your efforts, as your edges will not be square to their adjacent faces.

You can easily clean up the edge, after using your track saw, with a jointer or jack plane, depending on how long the boards are. I wouldn't want a glue line in a table that is straight from a track saw. Gaps, even small ones, show up like a sore thumb when finish is applied.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    You need to flatten one face first, and then plane to a consistent thickness. Whatever choice of tools you use, whether with a powered jointer and planer, or by hand tools, it is critical not to skip this step. Otherwise, as already stated above, you will not have a square edge to the faces of the board. Using your track saw on "rough lumber", as you stated, is only going to frustrate your efforts, as your edges will not be square to their adjacent faces.

You can easily clean up the edge, after using your track saw, with a jointer or jack plane, depending on how long the boards are. I wouldn't want a glue line in a table that is straight from a track saw. Gaps, even small ones, show up like a sore thumb when finish is applied.
    That was my thinking too. You can cut a straight edge but it isn't necessarily parallel or coplanar or any other relation to any of the other surfaces. Even a track saw needs a good surface to register off of. That still involves prep work. Its a similar problem to why you can't just use a thickness planer and skip the jointer.

Unless I'm wrong in my understanding...
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

My track saw is indispensable for straightening the first edge of lumber, using the 10' track.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    I buy 4/4 mahogany in 14' lengths. I use a track saw to dimension it, but I follow up with a hand plane, as in No 7 or 8, or low angle jointer.

OP, are you trying to simply straighten the edge on a rough board, for further working on another machine or hand tool?
    Or are you trying to create a finished edge ready for a glue joint right off the track saw?

I think the answer to your question depends on which of these two situations is yours.

Edwin

I say a track saw can cut a very good straight edge. But it cannot create a jointed edge.
    Because a truly jointed edge is a flat face with a straight square edge ready for glue.
    This what a jointer does a flat face to a square edge that's more then very straight.
    Aj

Fred

Yes, your track saw is capable of putting an initial straight edge on your lumber. Whether that would be considered a "jointed" edge is a little different.

Here is a thread that is very close to what you are asking about, from a few weeks ago;

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....fter-track-saw
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a big jointer and I do it all the time just because I am old and don't want to wrestle the heavy stock. One thing I will say is don't try to save too much, keep a full saw blade in the cut. If you are half in the blade will deflect out at that point and give you a less than perfect cut.

We use a Festool track saw all of the time to create glue line rip cuts in long boards. As others have recommended, it's best to face joint and plane to thickness first, and then use the track saw to make your rip cuts.

I like to alternate faces when making the cuts. As an example, on board 1 I will lay the track on the "show side" of the board, and on the adjoining board I will lay the track on the bottom side of the board. This way, if there is a slight alignment issue with the blade it will zero out and the glued boards will be flat.

Hands down, I much prefer the track saw to trying to run long boards across edge jointer. The Festool blade kerf is so fine that no hand planing is necessary.

Here is an example of how straight the cuts and how tight the joints can be with a high quality tracksaw.

TopC.jpg

Top 2C.jpg

SS--good post.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."