Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New rough cut

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post
    Also had another question about the new show - the sliding table saw that Tom uses seems to throw a large amount of dust (without the guard over the blade). Is this typical for this type of saw?
    I don't know whether that is anything specific to that saw but I'm sure one consideration is that it is being filmed on a set with lights. Think how much dust you see in the air in your living room when a sunbeam comes through the window.

But seriously, no guard? Not the best example.

My saw throws that kind of dust especially when I have the zero clearance throat plate installed or the zero clearance sled.

As for the lack of a guard, it probably doesn't set a great example but then that's the norm for woodworking shows. It's not unique to this show. "Guard removed for clarity."

I'm sure the TV lights "magnify" the dust but the sliding saw seems to be throwing a lot more than the PM table saw that he also uses

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    You obviously didn't live in places like Craig, CO, Kemmerer, WY or Blanding, UT in the late 50's or early 60's when 1/2 through Gun Smoke the sun was setting, the ionosphere shrinking, you lost the signal as a result. You didn't know for 60 years until one Saturday morning when a cable television network was playing the old westerns, how that episode ended!
    Ken, I'm guessing Matt prevailed and all was good in the end.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    CET only has 3 episodes so far. Are there more available? The 3rd episode made the cover of the most recent FWW.
    FWW has 9 episodes currently available to stream.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post
    Also had another question about the new show - the sliding table saw that Tom uses seems to throw a large amount of dust (without the guard over the blade). Is this typical for this type of saw?
    it appears to me that he’s not using a dust collector. Also, he’s not appropriately using the slider — I’ve never seen anyone use a sled on a slider. It defeats the one of the key advantages of a slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Also, he’s not appropriately using the slider — I’ve never seen anyone use a sled on a slider. It defeats the one of the key advantages of a slider.
    Some long term cabinet saw users will revert to "hybrid" methods on a slider. For some it is difficult to rewire their brain especially when it comes to jigs/sleds they have used for 30 years and 100% confident with.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You can watch the original episodes here:
    https://www.facebook.com/thomas.j.macdonald/

New ones are behind a paywall. First 3 are free but low res and blurry. Good info though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McQuay View Post
    You can watch the original episodes here:
    https://www.facebook.com/thomas.j.macdonald/

New ones are behind a paywall. First 3 are free but low res and blurry. Good info though.
    If you have Amazon Prime they have the first two seasons of the Tommy era on Prime Video.

Blog Entries
    I was just perusing the Felder website looking for a wrench to adjust my outrigger table, and I stumbled into the video section. Amazingly, there's several videos by McLaughlin showing how to use a sliding table saw and shaper for the projects in his series. It's remarkable that there was, to my knowledge, no mention made that would lead one to look for these videos. Furthermore, these videos delete the sled from his use on the slider. Much appreciated!