Thread: Exterior Chairs and Table Finish Recommendations

Exterior Chairs and Table Finish Recommendations

I am finishing up the build of six outdoor chairs and a 7ft table for our deck, and have spent hours researching and reading about the best finish for these. I am looking for something clear to allow the white oak to show. My location is upstate NY, and it will have some hot southern sun exposure in the summer and the intense cold winters with a lot of snow. I prefer to spray the finish, as there is a lot to do; but will do that outside.

If I were to paint them, what would be a good paint to be sprayed with an HVLP?

You will be best served by using a penetrating exterior product, such as Sikkens or Pentofin, for something like this. You don't want a film finish because it's going to make for much harder maintenance. Do note that these piece are going to "grey out" in the sun, even if your finish has some UV protection. Nature of the beast...

If you decide to "paint", then use a semi-transparent or opaque exterior stain for the same reason as above...it weathers better than paint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I grew up about 30 miles West of you and still get back there a few times a year. Really humid Summers and it can get pretty cold in the Winter; not friendly for exposed outdoor wooden furniture. No matter what finish you use you will be looking at routine maintenance if you want them to continue looking good. Routine means every year, two at the most, unless you cover them. I have a black locust bench I made and finished with Epifanes. I got 3 years out of the original 7 coats of finish, then had to do a rehab, two more years another rehab. When that was done I bought a cover for it. Two years later - perfect.

John

Thank you both for the insight, which sort of reinforced my thinking. I may end up painting them, but am still considering it. I have a set of Adirondack chairs made from regular white pine eight years ago which I painted with spray paint and then a rattle can coat of clear. Surprisingly, those have held up well in terms of the wood not rotting and them staying together, the paint has faded and has that aged look now.

I believe white oak is used on boat decks. You might want to look at some marine products?

White oak is an excellent species for outdoor use...it's naturally resistant to damaging weathering, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...