Thread: Use MS to "pop" grain w/o damage to wood?

Use MS to "pop" grain w/o damage to wood?

I'd like to know how best to make the grain more visible. When I finish a piece, BLO or Tung oil often transforms the wood. Water seems to help, but not very much often. Is MS good and is it safe (i.e., it won't damage the final finish)?

Thanks
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Mineral spirits...aka, paint thinner...will just evaporate. It looks great while "wet", but the wood looks the same when it's gone. Stick with what works unless you're just trying to see what the figure is GOING to look like once oil is applied. For that use denatured alcohol or worst case, mineral spirits, but know that even though MS largely goes away, it may leave a little residue that might not be the best for some water borne finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. I have been experimenting a little with various finishes on my luthier work (dulcimers mostly). My standard finish used to be 100% tung oil, but I more recently switched to a hybrid of equal parts tung oil, mineral spirits, and poly varnish. I apply with a big syringe, rub in with my hands (in nitrile gloves), and buff off with blue paper shop towels. I like the results. It is more of an in the wood finish than an on the wood finish, but with enough coats it has a bit of shine and still feels like wood.

Some customers wanted a more slick polished gloss finish, so I started using sprayed lacquer on some jobs. I missed the rich colors and pretty grain that the oil seemed to accentuate, so I tried applying either just thinned tung oil or my mixed finish and then applying lacquer over it. I was worried that the finishes may fight, but I have had no issues so far. Nothing wrinkled, blushed, discolored, or anything and I have some that have been used for a couple months and they seem fine. I thought that I would hate the feel, but so far I really like the way this has worked out.

I figure that if the jobs with lacquer over oil looked okay when done and some have been used for a few months and are OK that it isn't a bad way to go. Am I tempting fate and something will happen even after a few months? It seems unlikely to me.

You are tempting fate Peter. A finish should last for at least 10 years with moderate use and longer with careful use. 2 months is not a guarantee. Oil under lacquer is not a good way to go. Do more research on how to get the result you want. Cheers

Doug, using MS, naphtha, alcohol or even water to accentuate the grain is a technique used to get a temporary look at what the wood will look like when you do put a finish on it.