Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill and Pare Mortises

Drill and Pare Mortises

The boy child and wife are expecting our second Grandpeanut next month and the new Momma wants a changing table. Not a clue why, most of the time a changing table gets 6-8 months use and then it is a dust catcher. But whatever, that's the current project. No need to dig out the good wood for the project so it will be Poplar with Milk Paint. Most of the mortises are narrow and deep so this time I decided to drill and pare instead of just using one of the pig stickers and chopping. I have to say with a good set of Jennings bits and a brace things have gone very well. It is much easier with better results than using the drill press and Forstner bits.

I've just a couple more mortises to go and then it is on to sawing and fitting the tenons and a couple of dovetails to finish the base.

A couple of the mortises:

changingTableMortise-2722.jpg

ken

Good start Ken. I have never worked poplar with hand tools but imagine it will be OK to work with - as in not too hard to chop, pare and saw.
    David

Ken, I've not worked poplar. I do not know how hard it is and how much downforce you need to get the lead screws to bite. I do have a little trick you can try, and you can do this with forstner bits as well on the brace: drill a pilot hole first. Use a 1/8" bit, or smaller. That will take a few seconds as it should offer little resistance. The hole is for the lead screw or the forstner centre point. (The pilot hole for the forstner bit was a tip from. afeloow Aussie. I adapted it to the brace and bit).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Good start Ken. I have never worked poplar with hand tools but imagine it will be OK to work with - as in not too hard to chop, pare and saw.
    David,

I use a lot of Poplar, it is as cheap as Pine, sometimes cheaper, and is easier to work. It's only problem is it can be ugly with just a oil finish but it paints well.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Ken, I've not worked poplar. I do not know how hard it is and how much downforce you need to get the lead screws to bite. I do have a little trick you can try, and you can do this with forstner bits as well on the brace: drill a pilot hole first. Use a 1/8" bit, or smaller. That will take a few seconds as it should offer little resistance. The hole is for the lead screw or the forstner centre point. (The pilot hole for the forstner bit was a tip from. afeloow Aussie. I adapted it to the brace and bit).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

Thanks for the hint. Poplar is very easy to work, while a "hardwood" it is light and soft. It makes a very good secondary wood or a good wood for a painted surface. My problem with Forstner bits and drill presses is just getting and keeping everything lined up. It is much easier with a brace and bit, just place the lead screw where you want it, check your alinement and turn the number of times needed to get your depth. Piece of cake or as my non native English speaking clients would say a sheet of cake.

ken

I had a small cabinet/remodeling business years ago that required lots of cabinetry and case goods with face frames. Poplar and soft maple were my go-to for paint grade work, but that was all machine work. Poplar machines well, but does require paint to cover up the sometimes greenish tint and/or the brown streaks. I would much rather use it (or soft maple) than the pine I have run across. I doubt that I have ever encountered real, true decent pine and have only ever used the stuff that one finds at the lumber yard for framing/trim purposes.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I had a small cabinet/remodeling business years ago that required lots of cabinetry and case goods with face frames. Poplar and soft maple were my go-to for paint grade work, but that was all machine work. Poplar machines well, but does require paint to cover up the sometimes greenish tint and/or the brown streaks. I would much rather use it (or soft maple) than the pine I have run across. I doubt that I have ever encountered real, true decent pine and have only ever used the stuff that one finds at the lumber yard for framing/trim purposes.
    David,

So true. Usually with so much twist if you need more than a couple of feet there is no wood left by the time you make it true.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Derek,

My problem with Forstner bits and drill presses is just getting and keeping everything lined up. It is much easier with a brace and bit, just place the lead screw where you want it, check your alinement and turn the number of times needed to get your depth. Piece of cake or as my non native English speaking clients would say a sheet of cake.

ken

Ken,

I built several projects out of poplar and it's not my favorite hand tool wood – my experience is harder than you would expect and kind of "stringy". Seems like good choice for this project, and I admire your hand tool fortitude.

Thanks for the advice about drilling mortises. Getting well fitting mortise and tenon joints always seems to take me longer than it should. My go to method for mortises has been Forstner bits in the drill press, however routinely end up with drill holes that don't align with the mortise layout. Next time I'm gonna try the hand/eye alignment method with an auger bit and brace.

FWIW, building furniture for grandkids sounds awesome, and something I look forward to when the time is right. Come on - even after little one no longer needs a changing table, it will make a great place to put toys etc. I think our changing table ended up as a plant stand on the patio, which was great.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your build. Thanks for posting!

Best, Mike

I know you are probably halfway thru the project by now and all...

Something to consider.. A "Changing table" is just a good, wide, long table top that's the right size - and most importantly - the right height for changing little ones....

But it turns out that casework made to this same size and height is also optimal for many other tasks - such as being the top of a very useful dresser.... So don't be afraid to include plenty of drawers or making it out of nice looking wood or putting a quality finish on it...

For now - the drawers can house diapers, wipes, blankets, and piles of burp cloths.. But later they can be used for clothes.

And then when the little one gets older and doesn't need changing - make a matching mirror which can be mounted to the wall a over it or some such...
    Last edited by John C Cox; 06-05-2018 at 8:12 PM.

@Ken and John

I went a little nuts when I made my change table.

All hand cut M&T joinery, a bit of carving and amazing timber polished with shellac.
    Australian Red Cedar, Red Gum shelf and Bhutan Cypress drawer sides/bottom/back.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post

Ken,

I built several projects out of poplar and it's not my favorite hand tool wood – my experience is harder than you would expect and kind of "stringy". Seems like good choice for this project, and I admire your hand tool fortitude.

Thanks for the advice about drilling mortises. Getting well fitting mortise and tenon joints always seems to take me longer than it should. My go to method for mortises has been Forstner bits in the drill press, however routinely end up with drill holes that don't align with the mortise layout. Next time I'm gonna try the hand/eye alignment method with an auger bit and brace.

FWIW, building furniture for grandkids sounds awesome, and something I look forward to when the time is right. Come on - even after little one no longer needs a changing table, it will make a great place to put toys etc. I think our changing table ended up as a plant stand on the patio, which was great.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your build. Thanks for posting!

Best, Mike
    Thanks Mike, you are too kind.

Most of the time I find it easier and quicker to just go at it with a pig sticker but deep narrow housed mortises can present a problem with clearing chips and it is easy to bugger up the ends and sides clearing out waste. I've tried the drill press with Forstner bits without a lot of luck. I'm pretty happy with how a brace and bit works, I have much better control than with the drill press.

Take care,

ken

ken

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I know you are probably halfway thru the project by now and all...

Something to consider.. A "Changing table" is just a good, wide, long table top that's the right size - and most importantly - the right height for changing little ones....

But it turns out that casework made to this same size and height is also optimal for many other tasks - such as being the top of a very useful dresser.... So don't be afraid to include plenty of drawers or making it out of nice looking wood or putting a quality finish on it...

For now - the drawers can house diapers, wipes, blankets, and piles of burp cloths.. But later they can be used for clothes.

And then when the little one gets older and doesn't need changing - make a matching mirror which can be mounted to the wall a over it or some such...
    John,

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I'm it the fitting tenons stage. It's not long (if work allows} to glue up. I designed the table with a wide fairly deep drawer and a lower shelf to hold IKEA style wicker baskets. I plan on "blind pegging" the rail around the top so it can be removed with little trouble after a changing table is no longer needed.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gillard View Post
    @Ken and John

I went a little nuts when I made my change table.

All hand cut M&T joinery, a bit of carving and amazing timber polished with shellac.
    Australian Red Cedar, Red Gum shelf and Bhutan Cypress drawer sides/bottom/back.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    Stu,

Beautiful work. Mine is going to be painted Poplar, not in the same class . Which BTW, one like yours would have taken until her H.S. graduation day for me to finish.

ken

I have used a forstner bit with a drill press to excavate mortises, but to guide the bit, I simply clamp a fence to the drill press table to get perfect alignment of the holes. I usually find it faster to just use a mortising chisel unless I have multiple mortises.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Derek,

Thanks for the hint. Poplar is very easy to work, while a "hardwood" it is light and soft. It makes a very good secondary wood or a good wood for a painted surface. My problem with Forstner bits and drill presses is just getting and keeping everything lined up. It is much easier with a brace and bit, just place the lead screw where you want it, check your alinement and turn the number of times needed to get your depth. Piece of cake or as my non native English speaking clients would say a sheet of cake.

ken
    Ken, here's a strategy to try out. It's just an idea that occurred to me ...

Use your cutting/marking gauge to score a deepish line through the exact centre of the mortice outline. Now you should be able to set the point of the forstner bit in this line, and it should aid in keeping the holes lined up when using a brace. If using a drill press, always use a fence against the rear of the board, and a clamp to hold the board to the fence.

Regards from Perth

Derek