Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nuther Black Cherry Vase

Ever notice John.....that looking at the form Carole posted in this thread? The grey plain form? Check out other forms like that. You'll see that the bottom of the form and the top of the form are almost exactly the same size. In symmetry if you will.

Sheesh..!!!! Did "I" say that? How can a red neck Arky say sumpin' like that? I must have lost myself in a turning forum somewhere.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Sheesh..!!!! Did "I" say that? How can a red neck Arky say sumpin' like that? I must have lost myself in a turning forum somewhere.
    ROFL! Careful Dennis, you may tarnish your image!

I was down in Mammoth Springs, AR last summer, and there was a guy trying to say, "symmetry" and all he could get out was, "hand me another beer, John." Lucky for me, I have family living on the MO/AR border and I understand what he really meant.

There was a show on the Science Channel, "Understanding Beauty", and in it, they discussed things in nature and things made by people that are "beautiful". I think you're on to something Dennis....the top and bottom being symetrical, plus, I'll bet that the location of the high arc of the shoulder is a specific distance from the top which is beauty that you can calculate and create on purpose (some specified % of total height and related to width) I'll have to watch that tape again. (yes...I still have tapes )

I rely on these scientific approaches because I have no fashion sense and no artistic ability.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

[quote=John Hart] It was also recommended to me to use old files because the steel was perfect. Just recently, I bought a large file that will be ideal for a new scraper with longer reach. (I want to start doing taller HFs)

Hi John,
    Just some room for thought.
    First, files are for filing. A great tool used for what it was designed for. Modifications of the same, used as a "hand scraper" can work well, if one can dress it properly. Being a HT steal, it does not always except a bur on the edge that will last for any length of time.
    Additionally, as the file is a HT steal, and if I may put it this way, about as strong and flexible as glass, placing the same over a tool rest for a long reach is a picture for disaster. HT steal is not HSS steel.
    If I may and what I have found and recommended to use and modify, which make great scrapers, if you hunt for them, are the old thicker sawmill blades. Some of the old, discarded two man saw blades work well also, when adapted for scrapers. Just some great old steal.
    Personally, I would not consider using a file, for use on a lathe other than, if need be, hand filing, not under stress.
    Hope some of this helps, If not, you may delete it.
    Have a Safe and Happy day,
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ya know Bill, I'm not going to delete your post, and I'll tell ya why.....Since that time when it was recommended to me to use a file, I was very concerned about the brittleness and never fully comfortable. I am very comfortable with the old chisels however. Your argument is valid...your post must stay.
    ~john

John, the old chisels work very well, also some good old steal. If you know what a "Slice" is, and poke around the old docks, and or find one cheap enough at a tag sale, that the owner has no idea of what it is, they make about the best long reach scraper you will ever use and own. However, just a shame to modify an old tool, but some times can be found in a condition, that's all they are good for.
    If you find two, I'll take one .
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

John, I like it, but there are so many ways to go..One way would be
    to fill it with dried beans, plug the top and use it for Maracas .
    Just kidding....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill,
    What's a "slice"? Here in desert country, we're a bit far from the docks.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

I had to look it up Ernie. Looks like it's official name is "Slice Bar" or a "Peel". I couldn't find a picture, but it sounds like a giant chisel.

But...on to Frankenstein. This has about a 6" reach. If I have to go farther, I'll finish the bottom with my round nosed scraper that has an 8" reach....but I get a lot of chatter. I realize that I should have a ferral on the handle but it's Ash and has held up very well. As you can see, I didn't care about looks. So anyway...this is what I do all my hollowing and bowl work with. The outside of the piece, I do with a skew.

I just got a piece of steel from our maintenance department that ought to give me an 11" reach. So tonight, I'm going to try and grind it and turn a handle
    ~john

John - Oh man is that UGLY!. But it looks like it'll do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Kuhn
    Bill,
    What's a "slice"? Here in desert country, we're a bit far from the docks.
    Ernie
    It might be that the reference is actually to a "slick". As far as I know, there are only two industries that use them - and for the same purpose.

I spent many many years as a timberframer and used a slick all the time for paring tenons on scarf joints and such. Builders of wooden ships use(d) them for essentially the same thing.

Here's a picture of one. The blade is 8" long and it's about 32" overall.
    Only the Blue Roads

Wow John, great job on that mesquite. Glad you could get some use out of it.

As far as the other vase, well I was just happy with what all was said. I didn't have a clue, but learned a lot from this thread.

Ernie

12. John, that is one ugly tool! I swear that looks like something left over from the bronze age! But if it works and pretty things are the result who am I to judge. I sure couldn't come close to that kind of hollow from work. Give it a coat of paint or something, make it look like it didn't originate in a 3rd world country....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Man, is that thing ever uuuuugly! Looks like you went out of your way to make it as ugly as possible! The glue squeeze out adds an extra touch to the bohemian look. Appears that it works great, though. I'm sitting here thinking "Carole, look at what John does with just a skew and a uuuugly shop made scraper! He does better stuff than you do with your stupid Sorby Hollowmaster, Scopion, Stinger, 3 bowl gouges, 3 spindle gouges, Wolverine, etc." Just goes to show it ain't the tool...it's the craftsman who uses the tool.

Carole (who is seriously thinking about selling all her fancy-schmancy HSS and treking down to the docks to look for a peel, slick, slice or whatever it's called)

I hopped in my time machine and went back to the iron age. You guys are never gonna guess what I found! It was John! and he was trading with the locals. It looks like he picked up that scraper for a six pack of pepsi.

Oh, if you are wondering what was in the hut. It was a certain DeLorean.

Hay John,
    You put that up on the unmentionable auction channel in the wood lathe section, and I can almost hear it now, "do I hear $300.00. What works. works.
    Andy, you have placed it just about right. I am familiar with the term slick, as you have noted. During a summer recess, while off from furthering my education, I excepted a job with a dock building crew. The Crew chief (General Gorilla) handed me a tool, for which the term they used was a slice, and said "go and dress up the top of the piles. The with of the blade was 4" and about 12" - 14" long, sharp as a razor, supporting a handle the size of a baseball bat. I said ok, I'll hold it, but who is going to hit it? Boy, did I catch it then--- I learned it is not hit, rather slung under your arm and pushed. Once mastered, it's a great tool.
    Anyway, different trade, could be just a different term, but they do make a great long reach scraper.
    Sure would like to find another one ---- cheep,
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>