Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making a Maloof inspired table- Finished

Thanks for the reminder Mark. Actualy working with the rasps, router, band saw, sanders and taking may time shaping a leg has been a very satisfying expierance. I'd post progress picture but the progress would seem so minuscuel I hesitate to tye up band width until signifcant progress is made. I just hope that I'm not boreing other with my progress pictures. I try to show miles stones in case other are tempted to try one of these. Since there are no plans to go from I am trying to be as concise as possible.

If someone has any suggestions as to how to do something differant since a lot of what I am doing is my methods and not necessarily Sam's methods since he covered so much stuff in that one day worksop a lot was left up to interpitation.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 12-03-2005 at 9:58 PM.

An artist will say the statue is in the rock and they just uncovered it.
    Thats what your doing by letting the table take shape as you go.
    It looks great, keep up the good work, and keep us posted.
    Thanks

Final shaping of the legs.

The next step is final shaping of the legs

This is done using a variaty of tools but starts on the band saw.

Attachment 27315

Once the hard line is set on the band saw now the rest of the shaping is done with a variaty of tools including hand and power tools. The bottom of the legs is shapped using a 1/2 roundover router bit. Then the rest of the shapping is done using rasps, block plane and power sander.

Attachment 27316

One down and three to go...
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:16 PM.

Smile

Don, this is a great thread and nice learning experience. It's like looking over your shoulder while you work and still staying out of your way. Please keep posting updates. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Then the rest of the shapping is done using raps, ...
    Don, I think the image of you rapping is really more than I want to try to handle this weekend.

"It's basically a Sam Maloof design, with hip-hop overtones..."

Don,
    I am enjoying this and great progress!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Don, I think the image of you rapping is really more than I want to try to handle this weekend.

"It's basically a Sam Maloof design, with hip-hop overtones..."
    Hey, I can rasp with the best of em...
    Last edited by Don Baer; 12-10-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Isn't "rasp" just hip-hop with a speech impediment?

Progress is looking good, Don. I'm looking forward to watching the table evolve.

- Vaughn

Great!

Gotta love Maloof's organic style. The maloof chairs I've made have been my favorite projects. One day I'll make a Maloof table as well.

Thanks,

John

John,
    It's great to try to follow in his footsteps and learn along the way. I consider the table easier then a chair and that's why I selected it as a first project in his style. It has been a learning expierance and I hope that by showing how I use his style I can encourge others to reach out and do there own thing. One thing that I got when I met with Sam is that he feels very strongly that the woodworker should do what feels right when making a piece. since I started this piece I have many ideas for future projects that may be in the Maloof style but are not copies of his works.

I agree with you absolutely. I have been working on a project in my head for some time perfecting the design. When I finally get through all the paying projects I will build it. I have a lot of plans to incorporate the organic sculptural woodworking in future projects. It is a very rewarding process, but very very labor intensive. I had over 90 hrs of hand work in my rocker, but loved ever minute of it.

I am also getting ready to teach my first class on making these rockers out of my own shop. I'm really looking forward to that. My classes will be once on a month with lots of "homework" for the students.

Good Luck Don, I look forward to seeing more posts.

John

Don,
    That is a great tip on design and does represent what Sam always says..."It is so much more rewarding to design your own"...still you are doing a terrific job and it opens many doors. Learning to shape wood and make it flow using soft and hard lines is a wonderful learning experience...the hardest part is getting started and then doors open...
    I appreciate the making of lamps, chairs and tables in my home that are organic in nature...the lamps seem to grow from the floor like trees with a base or root system...the tables and chairs reflect a free form and not one piece of dimensional lumber is identified...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...6&d=1133237755

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...7&d=1133238300

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1133238319

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...9&d=1133238343
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 12-13-2005 at 9:38 AM.

Update time

I spent Christmas in Arizona with my youngest son ang Grandadaughter. LOML wouldn't let me take the shop with me so I didn't get any shop time in.
    I did spent two weekends part time plus today sanding and final shaping the legs and center columm. When I did a check fit I still didn't like the massive size of the center so I remade the columm today using 2 pieces of 6/4. Glued up then I recut the dados and shaped the coves in the corners of the columm. Here is a final fitting prior to final glue up. I realy like it better with the smaller center columm.

I'll spend tomarrow after church and monday doing a little more sanding and final glue up of the base and next week and I'll cut up and assemble the top.

I have some small pieces of 6/4 on top to see how it will look. I am debating between using 6/4 or 8/4 for the top. I am leaning towards the 6/4.

As always question and comments are welcome.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:14 PM.

Don,
    You can ease the edge of the top to give a lighter feel....looking great...You can blend the hitches on the legs with a little sanding....I line them up and try to make them all look the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Don,
    You can blend the hitches on the legs with a little sanding....I line them up and try to make them all look the same...
    Thanks Mark, I'll give it a try tomarrow. Just taking my time from here. The the more hand work I can do priior to final glue up the easier it is.