Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Risky Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    ....(Please don't get me started on lathes: there's a reason those whackos have their own forum. )
    I wonder if there's a way to make a lathe spin around a piece of wood?...Hmmm
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart

I think I'll pass on that exhibition. Talk about a new definition of scary.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    I don't have a lathe yet, but I suspect that at some point after acquiring one, I'll manage to make that happen.

Not deliberately, mind you...
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 11-21-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Just to clarify Dev - does that mean that nothing can really exist until you have heard of it?
    Not to put words in Dev's mouth, but I took that whole thing to mean that, just because somebody comes up with a catchy name for something doesn't mean it's actually "new".

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parks
    I was amazed at what I found today... To summarize, I was moving some lumber out of the way to hang a small rack of F-clamps on the wall. That is when I found this! It is a stick about 3/8" square. It is penetrated all the way through the drywall (6"), only the exterior sheathing is stopping it!

How did this happen??? As I recall.... Last week, I was making some raised panels with a cove cutter on the tablesaw. I made a 'cheek' type cut first, with the panel vertical. Then I swapped in the molding head to cut the profile and remove the waste. When I got to the end of the cut, the waste shot back. First of all, I NEVER STAND IN THE LINE OF FIRE, and I always make sure the saw is pointing to the wall to block a kickback. (you know, just in case). So anyway, I decided that a safer option would be to remove the waste first with the Festool saw and guide rail. I quickly cut out the waste on all the panels, and then went back to the TS to cut the profile. I forgot about the kickback until I found this today!

This totally fits the "risky cut" and how I used the 'dead wood' concept to make a cut safer!
    Scott, I don't think I'd forget that for awhile!
    Dennis

O.K.

Thanks Mike Cutler for that intial definition. So if we take a unisaw, then its the wood that rides over the unisaw and the unisaw that stays fixed. Using Dinos, stuff, its the saw that rides over the wood and its the wood that stays fixed. Extending this to a jointer would make sense as well. Same applies to a run of the mill shaper.

These are all super basic definitions and examples. And the gist is that the ummm, lets use this term for the first time, DWC will make things safer for us. Based on the unisaw example, I can go along with that.

But lets extend this logic to raising panels. In the DWC version of this, I would apply one of Dino's guides with my router of choice to the panel. Now, I am going to install a 3 inch hunkin Frued panel raiser bit and kick the speed of my PC 7518 down to 10,000 RPM. After all, I am working safe here. And now I am using a full bore panel raiser outside of its fixed table domain in the shadow of working safe because I want to use the DWC concept.

ARE YOU GUYS OUT OF YOUR MINDS! This isn't safe, this is suicide! DWC or not.

And then we get over to the sliding table table saw. Be it my martin or my oliver or a general or a grizzly with a laguna retrofit. What happens to the DWC concept here? Yes, the wood is moving as in the orig. unisaw example. But its clamped down to the sliding table with a hunkin eccentric clamp! ITs not going anywhere. I have found that, if possible, the best way for me to trim down doors is to throw the whole door up onto my martin sliding table, take a couple of measurements and then clamp it down and run it through. The cut is a perfect square cut as evidenced by my starret engineer/machinist squares. SHould I do this on site, then I have to set up a guide rail to make this cut. This is the only true valid use for these guided tools be they festool or those from dino incorporated.

My current kitchen project is 168 miles from my shop. So I will do as much as I can but I am also reasonable. This is why I have been researching the Festool lineup and why I will wind up buying a bunch of it. I cannot go back and forth to my shop and the site with a round trip of 336 miles. Something has to give! And in this context, these tools are great. But are they comparable to the heavy iron counterparts? NO WAY!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

But lets extend this logic to raising panels. In the DWC version of this, I would apply one of Dino's guides with my router of choice to the panel. Now, I am going to install a 3 inch hunkin Frued panel raiser bit and kick the speed of my PC 7518 down to 10,000 RPM. After all, I am working safe here. And now I am using a full bore panel raiser outside of its fixed table domain in the shadow of working safe because I want to use the DWC concept.

ARE YOU GUYS OUT OF YOUR MINDS! This isn't safe, this is suicide! DWC or not.

How can we be outa our minds when you brought this one up Dev?
    Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parks
    I was amazed at what I found today... To summarize, I was moving some lumber out of the way to hang a small rack of F-clamps on the wall. That is when I found this! It is a stick about 3/8" square. It is penetrated all the way through the drywall (6"), only the exterior sheathing is stopping it!
    This totally fits the "risky cut" and how I used the 'dead wood' concept to make a cut safer!
    WOW, that is quite a wake up call to work more safely! And, I am a great believer in bringing the tool to the wood whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    I have found that, if possible, the best way for me to trim down doors is to throw the whole door up onto my martin sliding table, take a couple of measurements and then clamp it down and run it through. The cut is a perfect square cut as evidenced by my starret engineer/machinist squares. SHould I do this on site, then I have to set up a guide rail to make this cut. This is the only true valid use for these guided tools be they festool or those from dino incorporated.

My current kitchen project is 168 miles from my shop. So I will do as much as I can but I am also reasonable. This is why I have been researching the Festool lineup and why I will wind up buying a bunch of it. I cannot go back and forth to my shop and the site with a round trip of 336 miles. Something has to give! And in this context, these tools are great. But are they comparable to the heavy iron counterparts? NO WAY!
    This is exactly where the Festool shines... It has it's place, but there is no way I'm giving up my tablesaw!
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

I"m trying to keep up here. Mabe I/m doing it wrong all these years. I push a 4'x8' sheet of plywood through my table saw and it's risky? I must have missed something.Is there a safe way? Am I the Evil Knievel of table saws? Now ya got me thinking. A catchers mask and chest pretection or mebe even a bullet proof vest.... tempered glass goggles,,,a helmet with a lightening rod attatched to the top and appropiately grounded. Wait a minute! The owners manual,,,, mebe even a book that explains safety and power tools! Now it's comming to me Read the friggin directions!!!! Phew Im glad that's over. I gotta go drink some beer now. As far as dead wood, I don't even wanna think about it.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    O.K.
    ...Using Dinos, stuff,
    ...one of Dino's guides
    ....Be it my martin or my oliver
    ...onto my martin sliding
    ...or those from dino incorporated.
    NO WAY!
    Dev. ...
    I clean your post to get to the bottom of it.
    The DWC exists. You even talk about it today.
    But not the way "your way" in order to bring
    your Martin and your Oliver into this.
    The wood can move too. But only after is secured, under pressure (dead)
    The EFSTS comply's with the DWC as long as you're using the sliding table.
    The shaper with a sliding table or a feeder comply's with the DWC.
    The Tablesaw with either a sliding table or a feeder comply's with the DWC.

The guy holding and pushing the wood into a spinning blade or rotating knifes without any fixturing-clamping or sliders or whatever, comply's with the Dead Man concept.

The , Dino's stuff, was designed from the get go to comply with the DWC 100%. Other tools can do the same.

Now. You can go back to your Hoffman and Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bell
    I"m trying to keep up here. Mabe I/m doing it wrong all these years. I push a 4'x8' sheet of plywood through my table saw and it's risky?
    Jim
    Jim, it's VERY risky and I am surprsed that anyone would think otherwise. Even in the bad old days when I used to push a 4'x8' sheet of plywood through my table saw I knew that it was risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bell
    I"m trying to keep up here. Mabe I/m doing it wrong all these years. I push a 4'x8' sheet of plywood through my table saw and it's risky? I must have missed something.Is there a safe way? Am I the Evil Knievel of table saws? Now ya got me thinking. A catchers mask and chest pretection or mebe even a bullet proof vest.... tempered glass goggles,,,a helmet with a lightening rod attatched to the top and appropiately grounded. Wait a minute! The owners manual,,,, mebe even a book that explains safety and power tools! Now it's comming to me Read the friggin directions!!!! Phew Im glad that's over. I gotta go drink some beer now. As far as dead wood, I don't even wanna think about it.
    Jim
    No Jim.
    All this years you doing it right. If you have made one mistake, you're the first one to know. And some times the only one to know.
    You have master the art of pushing the 4x8 into the tablesaw.
    But not all of us can do it as good as you do.
    The question here is: Are you sure that you can be doing the same cut over and over with the same level of perfection?

I think I'm one of the lucky ones too.

Dino... Please forgive us Martin and Hofmann types. We be so stupid...

All this intelectual stuff has made my head hurt. I am going to crawl back into my cave and play with my martins and my hofmann and my olivers and my maka. These primitive machines may not embody the DWC but they sure bring in the cash when they are running. And when I am posting to SMC, they are not running.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    It realy boils down to the basics of practicing our craft by engaging our brain prior to turning on the power.
    Always trust ignorance to defeat the best systems we can device.

With a piece like that, I can simply make my cuts on a larger piece and then cut it down, or use a sled on the saw, or a miter gauge with an extension fence, or a router table, well, you get the idea.