Thread: Router Lift Questions

Router Lift Questions

Hi All-

I used to do a lot of woodworking, but have been too busy working for the past few years. Now that I'm getting back into it, I am reading about router lifts and realize I was in the stone ages, back then!

I can't find anything about my old Black and Decker workhorse router. It is one powerful old beast, but without modernties like variable speed, etc. The data plate calls it a type 445. I put a couple of pics below.

Would there be any lift available today that would fit it? Or would I be better off just getting a more modern router?

Thanks for any advice,
    Howard
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know what lift would fit your router, but I know that the Woodpecker's PRL-V2 is one of the best lifts.

Woodpecker's is a USA manufacturer. You can call them and ask if they can accommodate your router. Here is an excerpt from their website:

ABOUT US
    Thank you for choosing Woodpeckers for your woodworking tools, accessories and products. You can reach us by phone during the following office hours:Monday thru Friday 9 am – 5 pm EST

Woodpeckers, Inc.
    13700 Prospect Road
    Strongsville, OH 44149
    (We do not have a showroom and are not open to the public. If you would like to arrange to pick up your order, please call us to arrange an appointment.)
    Phone – 1-800-752-0725
    Phone – 440-238-1918
    Fax – 440-238-2097
    Email – mailroom@woodpeck.com

Hi,
    These router lifts are designed to grip the round motor circumference so unless your router motor is an unusual diameter outside the design range of the lift, it should work. I have the Rockler FX lift. Ever the optimist I'm betting it will work. If you have a Rockler store nearby, you could take your router motor there and see for yourself it it will work. It's worth a few research calls.

Before you invest a lot of money in a lift, a good option is the Triton routers which have a very acceptable built in lift mechanism. I've been using one for a while and I am very satisfied with the power as well as adjustment.

Measure the diameter of the router body after removing the base. That will determine the possibility of using one of the modern lifts. It looks like the fore-runner to the Porter Cable 7518 3.5 horse router. If so it will drop into most lifts without a problem.
    Nice heavy router you got there.

Thanks for the advice, Fellows!

That is one thing that is so helpful about this board - we are rural enough the nearest Lowes or Builders Square is over 100 miles away, so it is tough seeing/looking at equipment firsthand or talking with other woodworking enthusiasts.

I'm going to look closely at all the options mentioned.

Yes, that old Black and Decker is a beast for sure. I got it years ago at an auction. Everything was selling high as they had a collection of power tools on one end of the trailer - but by the time they got to the other end of the trailer, where this B&D was off by itself, I wound up getting it for $20.

For power, it should work gangbusters as a table-mounted router.

But is variable speed that big of a feature?

Thanks again,
    Howard

Howard, if the B&D router is single speed, it'd be a good candidate for a router speed controller. Should work fine, and inexpensive. To me, yes, variable speed is important. Larger bits need to run slower.