Thread: Tumbler sander

Tumbler sander

I'd be curious if anyone has hand first hand experience with this process.
    I have thousands of small blocks to sand, mostly to ease the corners.
    They are 1.5" cubes in hard maple.
    this is what I'm looking at
    http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ng-systems.htm

sales rep recommended the MT 2 bar with MT 6 8 gal. barrel, thinking I could do about 300 in 2-3 hours.
    100 grit abrasive.

That time frame works for me but I have no experience with this process or machine.
    here is what I'd like as end result.
    Any thoughts, advice is appreciated.

IMG_3057.JPG

Blog Entries
    Having dealt with purchasing vibratory and rum type finishing equipment for a place where I worked, I would suggest you make up a box of samples and send them to your sales rep. Have the rep run them through the machine he is proposing and send them back to you. I suspect the results will be somewhat less than what you show in your photo.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

100% agree with Lee. Tumblers are fairly severe. The rep should be able to prove his machine will do what you want. Cheers

I'm fairly familiar with tumbling and vibratory deburring machines with experience only in metal parts. I would be surprised if this will do what you want in wood. Any of the suppliers will do a run of your samples before the sale. I would start there.

You might want to look at Klingspor mac mop flap wheels-10 x 4" that mount on a 1" horizontal shaft. I use grits from 100 to 240 but you would only need a fine one.

Put on leather gloves and do them by hand. Once you get used to it 200-300 per hour is do-able.