Thread: Belsaw 985

Belsaw 985

Anyone have any experience using a Belsaw 985 joiner/moulder with the sanding option?
    I guess like a drum sander option?
    Thanks
    Tom
    Alabama
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I have hardly used it, but have my dad's old 12" RBI Sander/molder/gang saw/jointer/planer. I understand it is very similar. I used it to make 4 1/2" oak crown for my old house from scratch (never again).

What did you want to know? I might be able to help a little.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick Potter I am interested in using it as a sanding drum with the "kit" from Belsaw. I am considering making a sanding drum to attach to woodlathe if this is a less than ideal solution

Tom-- I used to have that machine, and ran a lot of molding on it, but never installed the sanding head, even though I had one (I used a separate drum sander). I would expect, though, that the sanding function would work pretty much like the planing function, which worked well. What I don't know is how well the paper holds up and how hard it is to change the paper.

The Belsaw is a pretty simple, unsophisticated machine. It is loud and vibrates a lot, but gets the job done.

I don't think my dad ever used his RBI as a drum sander, but it looks to me like it would work by simply putting velcro on the steel drum, and using velcro backed paper. This is the way my 38" Woodmaster handles it, and it works well.

Tomorrow, I will try to find my dad's old RBI manual and see how it should be done on that one.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Tom

I have a 985, and the sanding attachment, but like the others, have never used it. The previous owner had used it, but I have no idea how well it worked.

I can get it out, have a look at it if you have questions.

Jim

Hi Tom,

I found the manual for Dad's RBI unit, which is 1984 model 612 (12"). They also made a model 408 (8") . The instruction sheet indicates that sand paper was glued on to the steel drum, or you could use PSA sandpaper 2" wide.

On the Jointer installation instructions it also mentions Belsaw model 910 and 912, as well as Sears model 306, and Foley model 344. I know there was some relationship between Belsaw and RBI, but I have forgotten the details.

I guess Dad bought the sanding 'kit', since the instructions say it was an accessory, and you removed the planer cutterhead and installed a separate sanding head. It specified 48" of paper for the 408 and 75" for the 612.

It states you can sand up to 1/16" per pass, but that seems wildly optimistic to me. Half that maybe.

That pretty much is all I know about the machine. As I mentioned, I never used it for anything but the molding head, and I have about some knives for that, including half dozen he had made special. The down side of the molder is that it only takes one knife.

Hope this helps.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have a 985,
    Jim
    I was planing some 1x2 maple strip for picture frames. The unit stopped like it had been unplugged. It did not feel hot nor smell hot. Any clue what
    's going on with it? I havent a clue even where to start
    Thanks
    Tom Oh BTW wanna sell your Sanding kit?

Obviously an interruption in the flow of electricity.
    Usually the break is in the motor starter. What kind of starter are you using? It makes a whopping big difference because there are so many different kinds.

worst case scenario: there has been something like a centrifugal switch failure that sent metal parts spinning and shredding the windings of the motor. I've seen it happen but its very rare.

[QUOTE=Bob Vaughan;2828605]Obviously an interruption in the flow of electricity.
    Usually the break is in the motor starter. What kind of starter are you using? It makes a whopping big difference because there are so many different kinds.

I actually did not know this monster had a starter. I guess i'll be learning some new stuff

Tom

Regarding your 985 stopping - sorry - not a clue - other than something is interrupting the flow of power thru (or to) your motor.