Thread: Fly tying Station (Pics)

Fly tying Station (Pics)

Ever one of those projects that just wouldn't go away?
    Well this was one of those for me, I promised I would do this for my father and he wanted to give it to a very good friend of his. I do not fly fish so I had to do a little investigating to find out just what was involved and this is what I ended up with.

1st image shows the table it is black walnut with maple the corners are splined with maple also

2nd image shows the flys I used as handles on the small cubby boxes routed into the top.

3rd image shows everything open I used flocking to line the cubbys and the bottom of the holders on the shelfs, first time using I like it better than trying to cover with felt or fabric.

4th is the dovetails my first half blind and also my first wood slides. it's amazing how smooth they work.

5th shows how the edges of the shelfs are magnetic, I ripped a thin edge off and embedded rare earth magnets along the edge then reglued the strip on so hooks, tools ect... can be hung on the edges of the shelfs.

Thanks for looking Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice work larry.

Hi Larry,

As both a tier, rod bulider, and fly fisherman I can say that is one very nice bench! I like your idea with the magnets, I will have to try that in some of my future work.

Larry.....as a fly tier and fisherman.....I really like your design and exectution! Excellent work!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Larry, it looks like you really thought of everything in that design. The craftsmanship really shines through. Thanks for posting.

Very nice, especially since you're not a tier. I am and I like your ideas.

Neil

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Larry, it looks perfect. Good job.

Larry,

It just don't get any better than that! You did an excellent job in both design and building.

I'm sure you have done your father proud and he will take pride in giving such a nice gift.

Looks great.

Kurt

Great job, Larry. I used to tie flies as a kid, and I'd have loved to have a setup like the one you made. Nice design (with cool features) and excellent execution.

- Vaughn

Larry,

Very nice design and craftsmanship. I'm intrigued by the embedded magnets. How much of a strip did you rip off? And how large a magnet.

I'm not a fly tier, but would love to learn if i could sit at that unit and do it!

Neil

Larry,

I have been a flytier (flyfisherman) for about 18 years now and I have Seen a lot of tying desks and tables. That is the best one I have ever seen. You Did a Great Job. I wish I could Tie flies as well as you do woodworking.

Tim Palmer

Thanks for all the nice comments, Niel I used half inch round magnets from a craft store I ripped about 3/16 off the edge then drilled 3 half inch holes and stacked 3 magnets each to increase the strenght and then glued the strip back on, it is not visable that it was ripped the only thing to be cautious about is make the magnets deep enough if rounding over the edges and account for sanding.
    Larry

I'm also an avid flyfisherman, flytier, and rodbulder. The desk is really nice and I love the magnets and the cups with the flies on top. Very nice!!