Thread: DRILL BITS, Drill Bits, drill bits,.......

DRILL BITS, Drill Bits, drill bits,.......

Was building some "funky" wine bottle holders as holiday gifts for friends, and I needed to drill a 1 3/8" hole. Knowing that my $19.95 Craftsman
    set of brad-point bits wouldn't cut it, I thought that perhaps this would be the perfect time for me to purchase a few sets of drill bits...I opened up my Lee Valley, Rockler, Woodcraft, etc, etc, catalogs, and wow, so many choices! I want to purchase "high-quality" sets of drill-bits which will work well and last-last-and last.

1. U.S.A., China, Italy, etc., differences?
    2. Some are available carbide tipped-worth it? For which bits?
    3. Brands to purchase?
    4. Which bits to purchase?
    A. HSS Lipped Brad-Point drill set or ?
    B. HSS Brad-Point Drill Sets or ?
    C. Carbide Tipped Lipped Brad-Point Drill set or ?
    D. Forstner/Saw Tooth Bit sets or ?
    E. Spade bit drill set or ?
    F. Where to purchase?
    Please post or email me.
    Thanks,
    Phil

Phil---Can't remember where, but I saw a comparison of brad point bits recently, and the ones from Lee Valley got the best review. I got a small set a while ago and they are great, wish I had gone for the larger set. I like brad points because they go where you point them, won't wander off the mark as they dig in. You don't want to use them in metal however.

Forstner bits are useful when you need to counter-bore a flat bottomed hole, such as when making a nut or bolt flush with the surface of a board. Mine are HSS from Lee Valley as well, and I am very happy with them. I haven't tried the saw tooth bits, but they look like they would certainly do the job. I have used garden variety hole saws, and can't say much good about them.

That's about the extent of knowledge re: drill bits, but I'm sure others will chime in as well.

I do a lot of business with Lee Valley, and have not been disappointed. Their Veritas brand items are top notch.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 11-22-2005 at 3:59 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

The lipped HSS brad points form LV are great bits. For a 1 3/8" bit, I use a toothed forstner, Greenlee, but can't recall where I got it as I have had it so long. An auger file, and slow speed, and they last forever.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I also am a big fan of the brad pont bits from Lee Valley. I have both the Imperial set of 12 (07J01.12) and the metric set of 8 (07J16.30).

For use in metal, I have the 29 bit Lee Valley Triumph twist drill set (61J03.01).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    Can't remember where, but I saw a comparison of brad point bits recently, and the ones from Lee Valley got the best review.
    That was the December 'Fine Woodworking'.

(Most of the people here didn't see the brad point bit comparison because it came after the 8" jointer comparison. )

Phil, for a hole that big I would use a Fostner or hole saw. If tear-out is an issue, drill it until the tip break through the bottom and flip if over and finish the cut. As far brad points bits go, after reading the review from Fine Wood Working, I' a Lee Valley convert. I replaced my 1/4" brad point with one that had a carbide tip - better - yes? NO! First the cut wasn't great and two it broke off!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Another vote for LV drill bits (both brad point and regular).
    I have a set of saw tooth Forstner bits from MLCS that has been quite good considering the price (and source). As I burn out the cheaper bits, I've been replacing them with carbide from Rockler. Those are still unknown as I don't have enough use on any of them to determine if they are worth the extra money.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter