Thread: Source for best quality pen kits?

Source for best quality pen kits?

Well, it is time to shop for Christmas, and I am looking for a source of the best quality pen kits. I read on a post a while ago (not sure where) that the finish on some pen kits wears off over time. That is what I am trying to avoid.

If anyone can suggest where to buy the best quality pen kits (slimline, probably), I would appreciate it. Since I am new to this, any other items that I need to purchase?

I am getting them for my son, so we can learn to turn them together.

Thanks!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin, In any new endeavor mistakes are inevitible. Suggest you stick to an inexpensive line of components to start with and become comfortable with the turning and assembly process. Then, you can "move up" on the cost scale and be just like the rest of us - -wondering if your costs are worth the expense. My favorites are all top of the line from Berea but you will see many who refer to Arizona Siloutte. Perhaps they share a manufacturer?? Good turnings. Phil
    Philip

IF you are looking for a long wearing (lifetime) plating in Gold you must use the TN Gold kits... all the other gold platings will begin to wear off in time...
    The two outfits I purchase all my kits from at
    CSU http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com and
    Arizona Silhouetter http://www.arizonasilouette.com ... they are the major reseller of Berea kits
    Both give exceptional service and have great kits...
    I stay away from Penn State... I don't care for their platings and have had problems with the mechanisms in their pens... I know some people love them, but not me..... and I sell quite a few high end pens each year... so I only want to deal in the best materials
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Martin, I concur with the above...just wanted to explain the Titanium Gold theory as it was explained to me by the guys at Berea. They designed the Titanium gold underlayment to be the exact color of pure gold, then they plate it with 24Kt gold on the outside. The underlayment material on the cheaper kits, is not a perfect match, so when the inevitable wear occurs, the appearance degrades. On the Titanium kits, the plating still wears, but you can't see it....So they always look new.
    Anyway, that's verbatim from those who made them.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Great advice from great men. I would only add this, when starting out you may want to consider less expensive kits so as the natural learning curve takes place it is not happening with a high buck kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    ...If anyone can suggest where to buy the best quality pen kits (slimline, probably)...
    I started off making slimlines as do most new pen crafters even though I don't particularly like the Cross style of refill. Slimlines seem to be the standard recommendation for a starter pen. Not long after I got started, I saw a comment by a well know and highly experienced pen crafter and it was his opinion that the slimline was "NOT" necessarily the best starter kit. Some of his points were:
    1. The slimline is a small kit and the final wood barrel is very thin making it, actually, a more difficult kit to turn than some of the bigger ones.
    2. A bigger kit will show off the grain of the wood better and produce a nicer looking final product.
    3. Slimlines are cheap so it is not a big deal if you screw one up; but there are a couple of bigger pens that cost very little more than the slimlines and might be a better choice for a beginner.

I like the kits from Craft Supply and Berea. They are a few pennies more expensive; but I think they sell higher quality kits. Arizona Silhouettes is a reseller of Berea kits; but they have a couple of unique kits of their own.