Thread: Kreg "Automaxx" clamps

Kreg "Automaxx" clamps

I have a love-hate relationship with my Kreg Automaxx clamps. Sometimes they auto-adjust to the thickness of the workpiece(s) I'm trying to clamp with no problems. Other times, I have to squeeze the crap out of them to get them to work, or they just don't work at all. I've played around with the micro adjust knob, which helps sometimes but not always.

What am I missing? Is there a trick to using these things?

I just got some and am having the same issue...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Same here, mine provides inconsistent clamping force at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    Same here, mine provides inconsistent clamping force at best.
    Didn't we buy ours at the same time at the Secaucus show? Maybe they are related... LOL
    --

I had issues with a couple called them. they sent me new ones and they work without issues great customer service!. I will be at the factory in Huxley, IA this Thursday for a tour they are giving to our local woodworkers guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Didn't we buy ours at the same time at the Secaucus show? Maybe they are related... LOL
    That’s the one.... The bench dog style mount is the one I have issues with. The one I have that is like a pair of vise-grips works fine, but that was bought at a different time. Bad batch perhaps?

I have and use 2 of the bench-dog types, no issues.

Blog Entries
    I hope this isn't a quality control issue. I have a couple Kreg's from when they first came out. It took me a few runs to find the setting I liked (strong enough to hold but, not so much as to leave marks) and they have not been adjusted since. These are the "vise-grip" style pliers.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-23-2018 at 4:53 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    That’s the one.... The bench dog style mount is the one I have issues with. The one I have that is like a pair of vise-grips works fine, but that was bought at a different time. Bad batch perhaps?
    I only have the "stand alone" ones and they are proving to be finicky...
    --

I bought an original "vise-grip" style Automaxx that I've never had a problem with. Based on that I tooled up with 2 more vise-grip type, 3 bench clamp type (that run in the track) and 1 pocket hole clamp, all Automaxx. Of the 6 various clamps 2 were unusable. I emailed Kreg asking if there were some sort of lubrication (which seemed self defeating, but it never hurts to ask) or other adjustment I was missing. Kreg immediately sent 2 replacements that work well.

As to the others. They all work in varying degrees of aggravation. One thing I noticed is if material thickness changes the clamping pressure changes, even though it's not supposed to. Another thing I noticed is when releasing the clamp. If you do not release the clamp ALL THE WAY it will not work correctly. On frequent use they also seem to go out of adjustment even though I know I haven't turned the adjustment knob. Let em set for a while and they're "back" to where they were set.

I have a non-automaxx pocket hole clamp, the kind where you have to turn the knob in the end of the handle, and several Vise Grip brand locking pliers with the swivel pads. Even with having to adjust by hand I find myself reaching for them over the Automaxx style clamps most of the time. That in itself is very telling.

Jim's term of "finicky" is spot on.