Thread: worksharp abraisives question

worksharp abraisives question

Do you ever achieve a mirror finish to the naked eye with just abrasives? Been wondering if I am doing it right.

I use Klingspore 2000 psa disks as the final step and always still see scratch marks. I'll manually touch it up on an extra extra fine diamond stone and afterwards to my eye its mirror like.

Final step is stropping.

Blog Entries
    The Worksharp is very versatile and folks use them a lot of different ways. I run abrasives up to 3600 grit on the WS3K. I also have 4k and 8k diamond discs made for lapidary. I have morphed to where I use the WS3K for full bevel grinding and quick touch-ups during heavy sessions. A fellow woodworker uses his for full bevel grinding and then does a manual micro bevel on stones.

To directly answer your question If I step through the grits up to 3600 and then strop, I get a mirror finish. I am also OK with a near mirror finish like I get off of a DMT Extra-Extra-Fine which is about an 8000 / 3u surface.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-31-2018 at 6:59 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I dont get a mirror finish right off of my worksharp. I'll be watching this thread with interest, hoping to learn something.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”