Thread: Wider cross-grain glue joints

Wider cross-grain glue joints

I am making a bed that will have 2x8 rails attached to 4x4 posts via mortise and tenon.

I know panels within a frame are kept loose as one shouldn't glue that wide a connection because of movement in different directions.

Can i glue real wide tenons?

Would two tenons of lesser width on the same connection be safer?

Or some other joint/connection?

Is this overthinking? I watched the trailer video by the English Woodworker Richard Maguire for making English style benches and he used wide cross members with glued half-lap joints on the trestles.

I did as well, is that a potential problem?

Wood is some type/s of conifers on both bed and bench.

No mortise and tenon. Use bed bolts or two piece hardware so you can break it down and move it. Dan

Blog Entries
    Or M&T with bed bolts. The idea being that you don't glue the wide tenon. Making a bed frame that doesn't knock down would be unusual. It is also nice to be able to tighten things up, take them apart to add paraffin to stop squeaks and for moving from room to room or house to house should that apply down the road. Bed Bolts, wedges, and tapered mechanical hardware will all allow this.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-01-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Worth considering demountable joinery such as through tenons with wedging keys.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Maybe go and look at a build thread I wrote up......
    slats.jpgthird slat.jpg

You can M & T and drawbore the headboard and footboard.

Some other connection for the side rails.

Because this a very large assembly that you'll need to knock down for transport, at some time, you'll want to leave the joint dry. However you could successfully glue such a joint using WEST epoxy with little concern about movement, depending on finish.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

You can glue it with any wood glue, not just west epoxy. But keep it detachable indeed, you will be thankfull on the next house move.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    No mortise and tenon. Use bed bolts or two piece hardware so you can break it down and move it. Dan

Thank you, i was only familiar with the corner hanger brackets and had to google the bed bolts.

I like them as they pull it tight but the person already nixed having pegs show on the outside for a pegged mortice and tenon.

I don;t think they would want plugged holes for the bolts.

I was planning on having the short rails permanently attached to the posts and then have the long side rails drop into the post with a big dovetail for break down ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Worth considering demountable joinery such as through tenons with wedging keys.
    I really like that look but the person is very particular and i don't think it would go with the kind of bed they want.

A "Provence" bed.

Kind of rustic: 54606.jpg

If you cna think of a way of doing that that would be blind i'd love it. I have but it's kind of hokey and with my lack of experience i am not sure of it's
    soundness/longevity.

Yes, i will.

That looks a lot like what the person wants.

Thank you.

*That was in response to Steven C. Newman.
    Last edited by Noah Wagener; 08-01-2018 at 7:43 AM.

Noah; do a search online for surface mounted bed rail brackets.