Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Container For Leigh DT Jig?

same reason I see stuff at customers and think wow that is really nice then realize I built it then come home to shoes that need to be repaired.

Alan, nice flip-out case. You put a lot of time and thought into that. Cool idea.
    I thought about dovetailing the case, but that was it...just a thought. It was enough that I finally got it built.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I’m trying to figure out why I’m not seeing any dovetails in either of Derek’s or Alan’s boxes.
    I mean seriously guys.

Says the guy who pulls his off the shelf and has to blow it off with the compressor before he can use it.
    This was just a prototype to see if the geometry worked- I didn't draw it in SketchUp first so really wasn't sure how it would turn out. It needed some tweaking along the way- I had to bevel or radius and cove some edges to allow for clearance during rotation, etc. It needed to be strong enough to firmly support the jig but turned out to be too heavy, so I toyed with changing the structure to frame and panel with thin, lightweight ply panels.

I was contacted by Leigh- they were planning to upload a photo gallery (and plans?) of jig storage boxes to their website, but wanted me to remake my case using dovetails or box joints. In the end it worked well enough and I eventually lost interest in taking the design to the next level. I got busy working on other stuff, too- some turned out just fine! (e.g. I-BOX and Lock Miter Master )