Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    I had the Hammer mobile base on my A3 31. If you only want to roll it forward and back it's fine. But if you want to reposition it to somewhere else in the shop it's not optimal.
    With the two portable planers I've owned, both were bolted to the top of a mobile cabinet. There has never been a time I've been able to use my planer without rolling it out into the room. The only time I can foresee not needing to roll the JP out would to joint a short board. An easily maneuverable mobile base is a must for my small shop. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm hoping to hear from the Felder rep today. I'd like to finalize this decision. Working without a planer for the first time in ~20 years is tying my hands.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Submitted the purchase authorization form... Might be joining the Felder family soon.

Locked in the last A3 31 available until October. Whew!

I ordered the DC fittings necessary to fix up the ductwork so it's ready for the JP. Also ordered 10' of 5" hose and the Portamate 3500. With everything else I've got going here, I'll have to put in some overtime.

Congrats, Julie! You'll love it. Post pictures once it arrives.

Julie,

You may already know this but the dust port on the machine needs an adapter to take a 5" hose. Your salesperson should be able to fit you up with one if they haven't already.

Cliff

Awesome news. Congrats.

Congrats, Julie! You're going to enjoy having that great machine!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, guys. Part of me is thinking this will be the first REAL woodworking machine I'll own.

Blog Entries
    Awesome! Congrats!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Thanks, guys. Part of me is thinking this will be the first REAL woodworking machine I'll own.
    Thats how I feel about mine. They can’t get it shipped fast enough. Very excited. LOL

With a JP, do you just wrap the slings under the table?
    Julie:

I specifically asked the Felder tech about this on Friday at IWF. He said to absolutely not lift up the jointer table from underneath the wings with slings - you would damage the unit. As has been said, there are lifting points. They were suggesting a narrow pallet truck, which I had purchased for just this purpose (among others).

BTW, thoroughly enjoyed going to IWF and lusting after the machines I'll be getting. You'll be thrilled. They are more impressive in person than on the web site. Incredibly solid, well made machines.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 08-27-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Yes it is, have fun, welcome to the family........Rod.

Will the narrow pallet jack jack fit under the machine or does it require the lifting bolts on one side? I can’t figure out if a normal width jack or a narrow one is better. Was going to try to rent one or buy a cheap one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Julie:

I specifically asked the Felder tech about this on Friday at IWF. He said to absolutely not lift up the jointer table from underneath the wings with slings - you would damage the unit. As has been said, there are lifting points. They were suggesting a narrow pallet truck, which I had purchased for just this purpose (among others).

BTW, thoroughly enjoyed going to IWF and lusting after the machines I'll be getting. You'll be thrilled. They are more impressive in person than on the web site. Incredibly solid, well made machines.

Locked in the last A3 31 available until October. Whew!

I ordered the DC fittings necessary to fix up the ductwork so it's ready for the JP. Also ordered 10' of 5" hose and the Portamate 3500. With everything else I've got going here, I'll have to put in some overtime.
    Julie, enjoy! I love this machine.

Did you get the digital gauge?

Regards from Perth

Derek

narrow are 21" to the outside of the forks, regular is 27". I bought a 27" one and its great to finally have one but its too wide for most machines. it takes some extra fiddling blocking up. Most larger shops have a number of them but I always see the two sizes. 21" is likely a better choice.