Thread: SIPA Top8 30" bandsaw

SIPA Top8 30" bandsaw

Has anyone run into SIPA Top8 30" Italian bandsaw before? I can buy one in good condition for $1000
    7.5HP 3PH. Wondering if anyone knows who makes them. Solid wheels ~30"/probably 800MM
    about 1.5" wide I noticed there is an earlier post for a SIPA 600/24"

I don't know about Sipa but they made cast iron and steel saws. I'm assuming this is a later steel model? I don't know of any 700-800 mm Italian saw that would not be stout enough for what you need. Solid wheels are an indication of a decent build and I prefer them to spoked ones. If condition is good, tires not mucked up, and motor runs, 1000 is pretty cheap. An ACM or Centauro of similar size would be at least twice that. Dave

Is the Top series the one with the odd spine, looks like two vertical 2x4 with a couple of inches in between them?

In any case I am not sure who made it but if the thing runs and nothing is broken it is a good deal, a solid 32" (nominal) saw is hard to find in decent condition for $1k. The tires may be vulcanized on, if so they would be expensive to replace and would likely force you to seek an alternative.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

It has new tires, so no worry about that. I have an MM16 that is a bit small for some of my resaw work/table is small for a feeder and the run speed is a bit slow. Resaw height is a little low on the SIPA at 16", but that is typical of this generation I guess a big MM or a version of an ACM would be a lot more

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cohen View Post
    It has new tires, so no worry about that. I have an MM16 that is a bit small for some of my resaw work/table is small for a feeder and the run speed is a bit slow. Resaw height is a little low on the SIPA at 16", but that is typical of this generation I guess a big MM or a version of an ACM would be a lot more
    Once you go above 24" on the Centauro (MM) or ACM saws resaw height no longer follows wheel size. The MM32/SP800 has about 19" of resaw so you aren't loosing as much as going from a MM24 with its 24" resaw height. The question you need to ask is how many times did you run out of resaw height with the MM16? I honestly would not think long about it, if it is functioning properly that's a good price and unless you expand the budget by a good bit you are likely not to get more saw unless you grab and old mid-range (Moak, Crescent and the like) cast iron 32-36" saw at auction. In perspective a new MM32 is over $9k though you do get a little more hp and height. It all comes do to condition and if you want to move the budget up significantly.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I am going to look at it. If all looks ok will probably buy it. One extremely weird thing is that it has no dust ports...I guess you are supposed to make your own? Can't imagine how it was run without them

Finally got a chance to see this saw. It is a very odd beast of a saw. Turns out to have 800MM wide solid wheels.
    So it is actually a 31.5 " saw. It spins very fast. Used a tach and it seems to be close to 7000 FPM. Wheels have a slight
    but not harmful run out. It does have new tires. but they were not installed well. There is a visible variation in thickness
    and edges are rough. This might be fixed by truing up. Huge table sits on a very small trunion and tilt mechanism locks with a bolt(no lever). It is very far forward so tilting will be difficult.
    Bottom thrust bearing is missing, although there is a set of euro guides. Top set is carter. One other strange thing is the throat plate insert. It is very small and has no indentation to rest a plate, it just tapers in a bit. Also brake, which is only mechanical is shot, but pad should be replaceable. There are no modern safety features, such as door switches or a cutoff for the motor when the brake is pressed.
    Conclusion, do not think this is for me. It is a very good value for some person who wants to work on it. If you are interested it in MA. and I can give you the contact info

Thanx been eyeing that one on for a while now, probably too much of a project for me. There's also a clean looking 18" Bäurle BS on North Jersey CL. Motivated seller!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    There's also a clean looking 18" Bäurle BS on North Jersey CL. Motivated seller!
    I have no idea why that saw has not sold.