Thread: Block Plane shop solution

Talking Block Plane shop solution

Hi Everyone,

I trust the Americans in the group are having a great Thanksgiving holiday!

I love my Lee Valley Low Angle Block Plane. It's my favorite plane in the shop. I noticed Rob Cosman wearing a holster a few years ago with his LN Apron plane. I thought this was the slickest idea as I like to have it with me as I move around the shop but it doesn't sit comfy in a shop apron. I was going to buy a LN holster (pic below) but Rob told me my LV block plane will not fit in it. Rats.

holster_j.jpg

Then Lee Valley put out a Apron Plane holster for their Apron plane. A somewhat cheaper looking and costing version but still.... I bought it and of course, the block plane doesn't fit. Hmmm.... After stewing on this for a long time I realized I should just get one made. I live in a small town in horse country and we have a local leathersmith. I took him my plane and photos of the LN unit. I asked him to use really nice, thick leather and a couple of days later this is what I got back.
    Plane & holster.JPGPlane in holster.JPGfor belt.JPGfor storage.JPG
    ...my plane isn't pushed all the way in on the 2nd and 3rd shot.

He did a beautiful job on this (IMHO). Nice stitching and great leather. He stretched the leather around my plane so it has a perfect form fit. The flap has a snap buckle on the back for your belt and velcro on the front so you can toss it in your tool box. The best part....he only charged me $25!

So if any of you out there like your block plane like I do, this is something you could have done......or, I'm going to offer SMC patrons the opportunity to get one made from my leathersmith. I imagine the LV regular block plane, the LN and Stanley will all fit. No profits involved, nothing commercial happening here, just the same cost I paid and cheap shipping (whatever it is, probably about $10-15). I'm only wanting to do something nice, Christmas season and all. The fellow that made mine has agreed to make some more if any of you want one. Let me know by email, reply or PM.

Regards,

Neil

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Aren't old time "smiths'" of any type handy to have in the area? Really neat solution to the problem. As an ex-machinist my wood working apron isn't nearly as functional as my old ones were. A little time with a local seamstress and now I've got the apron I need. $5.00 was all it took course I paid her $10.00.

I totally agree. I was so pleased with the experience. I love my little town and the people that make it roll along. A new and improved shop apron is an excellent idea. Can you post a photo of yours?

Regards,

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Neil I'll not fall for that, me modeling something nu-aw. It's really simple just make the top of the apron with a swinging pouch to hold pencils and maybe a 6" scale. That way when you bend over it swings away from your body and doesn't spill everything on the floor. I use to go through a 1" micrometer about every 4 or so months till I got wise and bought aprons with a swinging pouch.