Thread: DC Gloat

DC Gloat

A couple of weeks ago I received my Felder RL125. My Jet DC-1100 just does not keep up with any of the functions on my MiniMax 300 Smart or MM16 bandsaw. So I made a big jump.
    The RL 125, which is 5.5 HP, is AMAZING. Not one bit of dust anywhere. I did, however, replace the 125mm inlet with a 6" bellmouth from Air Handling along with 6" urathane hose, quick disconnects, and new reducers for all functions (saw, shaper, jointer, planer, morticer, and bandsaw). I also installed the silencer which can be seen on top of the machine
    Due the the test methods used in Germany, the specs for the RL 125 do not look impressive at first to most woodworkers, including me, in the US. Once I understood what the tests involved I realized that my DC-1100 would be much less than 400 CFM by German standards. I now use the DC-1100 for my router table only.
    I also have included photos of a 6" to 120mm reducer with the quick disconnect.
    I want to add that Felder was great to work with and the machine arrived exactly when they promised. Also, Air Handling is one the best suppliers that I have ever dealt with. I recomend both companys highly.

Regards,
    Phil Glover
    Last edited by Philip Glover; 09-14-2006 at 4:39 PM.

2. Thumbs up

.... Very nice unit indeed, Phil.

Good luck with it .

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Glover
    A couple of weeks ago I received my Felder RL125. My Jet DC-1100 just does not keep up with any of the functions on my MiniMax 300 Smart or MM16 bandsaw. So I made a big jump.
    The RL 125, which is 5.5 HP, is AMAZING. Not one bit of dust anywhere. I did, however, replace the 125mm inlet with a 6" bellmouth from Air Handling along with 6" urathane hose, quick disconnects, and new reducers for all functions (saw, shaper, jointer, planer, morticer, and bandsaw). I also installed the silencer which can be seen on top of the machine
    Due the the test methods used in Germany, the specs for the RL 125 do not look impressive at first to most woodworkers, including me, in the US. Once I understood what the tests involved I realized that my DC-1100 would be much less than 400 CFM by German standards. I now use the DC-1100 for my jointer table only.
    I also have included photos of a 6" to 120mm reducer with the quick disconnect.
    I want to add that Felder was great to work with and the machine arrived exactly when they promised. Also, Air Handling is one the best suppliers that I have ever dealt with. I recomend both companys highly.

Regards,
    Phil Glover
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Sweet! You could shine a single bulb on it and light up the shop!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Congrats to a really nice DC!

How would you rate it noise-wise, compared to more conventional DC's?

Gary

Hi Phil, Thanks for posting the picture of the hookup using the bellmouth from Air Handling. I was wondering how that thing looked.
    Gary, I measured the db of the RL160 I have and got about 80-82 depending on where you measure.
    take care and hope all had a nice Happy Thanksgiving.
    John

Gary,
    The tone is definitely different. The pitch is lower and a little quieter. A conversation can be carried on at a little more than normal volume. I have noticed when the jointer/planer is off I can hear a lot more air rushing through the port.

Unrelated to the noise, this machine is much easier to empty. Just lift the handle at the front of the dust bin and it drops down on the casters and rolls out. No more fighting with the spring-loaded hoops and dust falling all over the place.

Cut quality is also improved, especially the surface finish from the planer.

Reagrds,
    Phil Glover

John,
    Here is a photo of the bell mouth and connection to the saw dust port.
    The bell mouth involved drilling out rivets, drilling holes in the bell mouth, transfer drilling into the RL125, pop riveting, repositioning the the flapper door, and sealing everything up. Not at all difficult.

Regards,
    Phil Glover
    Last edited by Philip Glover; 09-14-2006 at 4:39 PM.

Congrats on the new DC! You modifications look very well done. Is that a new type of quick connect from Air Handling? What's it called?

Bob,

I do not know how new this design is, but you'll find it on pg. 43 of the Air Handling catalog. It is called a "Quick Flexhose Disconnect".

In my photo you are seeing a 6" to 120mm reducer connected to the female half of the Q/D. The male portion is the one with the spring latches.

Regards,
    Phil Glover

philip, this unit looks a whole lot like paul cresti`s new "mini-max" unit congrats, tod

Now that is serious dust collection!!!! Amazing how small the foot print is. It doesn't take up much more room than my cyclone.
    Great selection and install.