Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which press of these 3?

Thanks, Tom. Your solution seems reasonable.

I've been moving toward the Voyager for some time, and I may be getting close to the brink. About the only thing stopping me is spending that kind of money on a tool I only need once every few months.

I’m leaning towards the nova too but with a nicer chuck swapped in. That said, I’m going to try to put my hands on one in the next week or two to make sure I like it. Rebate runs till end of month and I need to get my shop rearrange further along before I can order it anyway. Thanks for all the input.

I've noticed that the Nova does go on sale fairly often, usually $100 off.

As an indication of the digitally controlled variable reluctance creeping into woodworking Rikon showed a DVR powered bandsaw at IWF. It appears to be coming from the same OEM based on looks. The take away is another company seems to have accepted its long term viability, as I mentioned before the issue is the electronics side since the motors themselves are very old tech and extremely simple as electric motors go. You also are taking out the belts and pulleys which are potential mechanical failure points.

I didn't play with the Rikon bandsaw since it is extremely rare I cut non-wood products.

Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Decided to try the Nova after more reading and everyone’s comments. Thanks.

Happened to go onto the Acme Tools website last night and they have a Labor Day sale listed that gets up to 15% off with multiple item purchase. I ordered the Nova Voyager, with Nova fence and Nova magnetic light which managed to get me 10% off and the max of $150 off. All 3 items for less than the drill itself. They have free lift gate shipping shipping and they are an authorized dealer so they qualify for the $200 rebate also. Seemed like a good deal.

Excellent, Greg, and no sales tax. I've made several large purchases through Acme and have been happy with their service.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Excellent, Greg, and no sales tax. I've made several large purchases through Acme and have been happy with their service.
    Thanks. Me too. Got my Supermax 19-36 drum sander from them most recently.

Congratulations Greg ... that is going to be a great tool for the long haul. Were I replacing my Reeves drive Clausing I would definitely consider either the Nova or PM ... they both look like great machines.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Plus, according to one of the customer reviews I read, it casts a shadow on the wall that looks like ET!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Anyway, I’m trying to decide between the new Powermatic PM2800B, the Delta 18-900L or the Nova Voyager. All 18” models. All with plus and minus.
    Fine Woodworking did a tool test in October of 2015. They rated the Delta 18-900L Best Overall. There was no Powermatic DP in the test. IIRC, an earlier test gave top honors to a PM DP.

In the 10/15 test, Bill Peck said the Delta 18-900L was a no-brainer for best DP. It had the most quill travel, a big table that tilts in both directions, the fastest and easiest speed changes, a quick-adjust depth stop and quill lock, an effective head-mounted laser pointer and plenty of power and accuracy.

Others in the test were Central Machinery 39955; General International models 75-260 M1, 75-500 & 75-700 M1 VS; Grizzly models G7947 & G7948; Porter Cable PCB660DP (Best Value); and Rikon models 30-236 VS and 30-240.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Fine Woodworking did a tool test in October of 2015. They rated the Delta 18-900L Best Overall. There was no Powermatic DP in the test. IIRC, an earlier test gave top honors to a PM DP.

In the 10/15 test, Bill Peck said the Delta 18-900L was a no-brainer for best DP. It had the most quill travel, a big table that tilts in both directions, the fastest and easiest speed changes, a quick-adjust depth stop and quill lock, an effective head-mounted laser pointer and plenty of power and accuracy.

Others in the test were Central Machinery 39955; General International models 75-260 M1, 75-500 & 75-700 M1 VS; Grizzly models G7947 & G7948; Porter Cable PCB660DP (Best Value); and Rikon models 30-236 VS and 30-240.

Ive seen that test but it doesn’t have the nova or newer Powermatic in the comparison. I think the delta was tops at that time. Now it has to compete with the other two. I honestly strongly considered it as it was the cheapest of the 3 but not by a whole lot after the nova rebate. I didn’t ultimately want to mess with belt changes. The grizzly I just parted with had them and it was a pain. I think the deltas process is better due to an automatic belt tension system but still a pain. The Powermatic has a reeves drive system which seems to get hit or miss reviews. Anyway, tough choice and I was initially thinking any of the 3 would work but I think the Nova will be a nice choice assuming I get a good copy.

Almost guaranteed you will not be sorry you chose the Nova. I struggled with spending money on the Nova a year or two ago. I had a decent drill press, a Taiwan Sears floor model one that served my hobby and craft needs for most of my adult life. I saw the Nova at a wood show in Tampa and could not stop thinking about the features. I was not the least bit concerned about the electronics, it was the cost for something I did not *need*. In a weak moment during one of the $200 rebate sales I clicked the button. One of, it not the best tool purchases I have made in recent memory.

Being able to dial in whatever speed I want with the gentle twist of a knob is almost worth the cost of the Nova to me. I am still getting used to the membrane on off switches. I would rather have a traditional switch for that. Thirty some years using the Craftsman trained my hands to move to a location on the drill press head and push without thinking or looking. Over a year later I am still reaching to push a switch lever in a spot that has nothing there on the Nova. What is the saying about old dogs and new tricks ?

I also did not like the chuck that came with the Nova. I do a lot of modeling and frequently use numbered drill bits #1 ~ #60 a bunch of which the Nova chuck would not hold. So I spent almost as much as I saved with the rebate buying a new 5/8" chuck with smaller holding ability and a new arbor.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Almost guaranteed you will not be sorry you chose the Nova. I struggled with spending money on the Nova a year or two ago. I had a decent drill press, a Taiwan Sears floor model one that served my hobby and craft needs for most of my adult life. I saw the Nova at a wood show in Tampa and could not stop thinking about the features. I was not the least bit concerned about the electronics, it was the cost for something I did not *need*. In a weak moment during one of the $200 rebate sales I clicked the button. One of, it not the best tool purchases I have made in recent memory.

Being able to dial in whatever speed I want with the gentle twist of a knob is almost worth the cost of the Nova to me. I am still getting used to the membrane on off switches. I would rather have a traditional switch for that. Thirty some years using the Craftsman trained my hands to move to a location on the drill press head and push without thinking or looking. Over a year later I am still reaching to push a switch lever in a spot that has nothing there on the Nova. What is the saying about old dogs and new tricks ?

I also did not like the chuck that came with the Nova. I do a lot of modeling and frequently use numbered drill bits #1 ~ #60 a bunch of which the Nova chuck would not hold. So I spent almost as much as I saved with the rebate buying a new 5/8" chuck with smaller holding ability and a new arbor.

Bob
    Thanks. Im thinking about replacing the check with a nicer one too but didn’t order it yet.

Bob
    Bob what chuck / kind did you buy and were?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-05-2018 at 9:11 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Excellent, Greg, and no sales tax.
    Not true. Although Acme is not required to collect the tax from you, you still owe it and are required to file a sales tax or use tax form. This is from the Florida Department of Revenue Consumer Information page:

Have you bought or received merchandise from out of state or through the Internet?

You Might Owe Florida Tax

Many citizens are not aware that Florida has a "use tax." Use tax normally applies to items purchased outside Florida, including another country, that are brought or delivered into the state and would have been taxed if purchased in Florida. The use tax rate for consumers who are not registered dealers is 6%, the same as the general sales tax rate.
    Examples include:

• Purchases made through the Internet.
    • Mail-order catalog purchases.
    • Purchases made in another country.
    • Furniture purchased from dealers located in another state.
    • Computer equipment ordered from out-of-state vendors advertising in magazines.

If an out-of-state seller fails to collect sales tax, it is your responsibility to comply with Florida law. You must submit payment directly to the Florida Department of Revenue. (This payment is required by section 212.06(8), Florida Statutes.) You can file and pay use tax online, or complete an Out-of- State Purchase Return (Form DR-15MO ). If the tax owed is less than one dollar, you do not have to file a return.