Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pneumatic clamp cylinder size?

This is interesting...and I'm gettin' ideas. LOL (That's a dangerous thing sometimes)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Mark and I were chatting off the board about how to make the machine easier to feed material in.

As it sits now the clamp is a bit in the way, not in it's original function but with my fence as the backup. So, the thought is to make an attachment for the fence that will hold the cylinders, this will allow good clearance to get material in and out easily.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Interesting thread. I picked up a bunch of different cylinders to convert / add pneumatic clamping and actuation to a few different machines in my shop. Unfortunately ordering the parts is as fat as I've gotten.
    20180725_205345.jpg

Brian:

At some point in its history, someone performed a retrofit on my Yates M-40 Mortiser replacing the mechanical clamp with pneumatic.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=31851

It's an ARO Provenair ANAQK-ABXAB-014 (page 33)
    That translates to a double-acting 1-1/2" bore and stroke with a 5/8" rod.
    https://www.arozone.com/content/dam/...ylindercat.pdf
    The manual switch activates and then deactivates the cylinder. It is mounted on a dovetailed way which allows fast change for material depth, and still clamps and holds with the dovetail loose. The pressure is pretty significant. I would hate to accidentally clamp shut with a pinched finger. It doesn't mar the wood and it doesn't slip ... so someone did their engineering reasonably well. Except the switch was placed in a lousy location ... definitely something to think carefully about.

I explored the option of adding additional clamps but the more I have used it the less I am inclined to do so. The one clamp works fine and adding another would add complexity to the work process.

Your idea of a "fixed height which is generally out of the way" makes a lot of sense.

YatesClamp.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 09-03-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Insert image inline
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Dave and Malcolm provide some details on pressure obtained and required. The 1-1/2" bore cylinder I have apparently (according to sectional area) generates about 70# at 40psi and 90# at 50psi. I had no idea ... but that sounds about right. Thank you gentlemen for that info.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

My slot mortiser setup. Parts for pneumatic clamp came from jds off their multirouter

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    Thank you both!

Bill, very much appreciate the detailed information.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.