Thread: Planer speeds

Planer speeds

I recently got a great deal on a 16 year old Woodmaster 725 planer that was never set up, still boxed and on the pallet. There was a little surface rust here and there from barn storage, but it's cleaned up very nice. This is my first planer and I had a question regarding in-feed speed rate for different types of woods. Is there a suggested or recommended in-feed speed rate out there or is it all experimental?

Contact Woodmaster and ask them. They still sell it so should have a manual for it.

https://www.woodmastertools.com

Good score by the way.

I don't know if there's a standard feed speed for different species but, when I'm planing a quantity of wood, I use a fast speed for all but the final pass.

Woodmaster might have some recommendations but you will want to experiment yourself. The variable speed feature is nice but the downside with molder planers is the distance of the rollers from the head and the lack of chipbreaker or pressure bar to give molding knives clearance. That design can allow for some chatter if run too fast so you will need to get a feel for the machine. Dave

In my world “slow” is better.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Woodmaster might have some recommendations but you will want to experiment yourself. The variable speed feature is nice but the downside with molder planers is the distance of the rollers from the head and the lack of chipbreaker or pressure bar to give molding knives clearance. That design can allow for some chatter if run too fast so you will need to get a feel for the machine. Dave
    Thank you, I appreciate everyone's advice. I get it, there are too many variables to make a black & white does it all list. I will experiment to get my own feel for the machine. I intend to only use this machine as a planer and not switch out to the sander, molder or gang ripping set ups. Keeping my eyes out for a used drum sander, dual would be even nicer.