Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sadly not a good Thanksgiving.

Sadly not a good Thanksgiving.

Yesterday morning I got a call from the nurse at the Ohio Masonic Home telling me that my father had just died.

There is a lot I could tell you about Dad. But, I will narrow it down to the fact that he was my friend and mentor throughout the 65 years of my life. He was known by just about everyone at the OMH, about 600 including residents and staff. I am sure that they will miss him nearly as much as I will.

Every Sunday at 6 PM I would make a call to him, and he would answer on the second ring. That had been going on since he became a resident of the home on October 31, 1997. In recent years I would buy him an airline ticket in the spring and he would come down to visit with us for a week. Not bad for a man in his middle nineties. Then, I would fly up to spend a week with him in Springfield Oh. in the fall. Dad had his 97th birthday this last September.

Tuesday I will be flying up to Akron for a final good bye, and see him put to rest beside my Mom.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken You have our deepest sympathys.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Ken,

.... Sorry for your loss. I think if it were my dad I would feel blessed to have had such a relationship for so many years -- as I'm sure you feel.

Our prayers are with you.

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Yesterday morning I got a call from the nurse at the Ohio Masonic Home telling me that my father had just died.

There is a lot I could tell you about Dad. But, I will narrow it down to the fact that he was my friend and mentor throughout the 65 years of my life. He was known by just about everyone at the OMH, about 600 including residents and staff. I am sure that they will miss him nearly as much as I will.

Every Sunday at 6 PM I would make a call to him, and he would answer on the second ring. That had been going on since he became a resident of the home on October 31, 1997. In recent years I would buy him an airline ticket in the spring and he would come down to visit with us for a week. Not bad for a man in his middle nineties. Then, I would fly up to spend a week with him in Springfield Oh. in the fall. Dad had his 97th birthday this last September.

Tuesday I will be flying up to Akron for a final good bye, and see him put to rest beside my Mom.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Ken, our sympathies, thoughts and prayers go out to you. Yes, it sounds like a super relationship so, you have some great memories to live with. I have little doubt that he'll remain special to for the rest of your live, as well as many others. Take care.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Ken,
    My condolences go to you and your family. I know what it is like to lose a good friend like that as I lost mine about 2 1/2 years ago. I still start to pick up the phone to call him and ask a question now and then

A gain our deepest sympathy to you and your family

Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Ken our most sincere sympathies! What a neat relationship you've obviously had with you father!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

my condolences ken.

Ken,
    My sympathathys and prayers
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Ken,

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your dear father. My family and I will keep you in our prayers. You were very lucky to have such a wonderful relationship with your dad.

Jackie

God Speed.

Richard

Sorry for your loss Ken. You were very fortunate to have a great Dad for that many years.

Pete

What a nice testimony you wrote; thanks for sharing that with us. Blessings to you as you go through the final journey to Ohio.

Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

my thoughts and prayers are with you ken

lou

My deepest sympathy Ken, You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tony.
    Tony

Ken, not a good Thanksgiving, but a lot to be thankful for.

I left home at 17, the military, traveling and college prevented me from ever knowing my father as a man. My father passed away when I was 30, at 63 I envy you having a father as a friend and mentor.

Nothing can mitigate your loss or the sadness, but you can be thankful that you had such a wonderful father for so much of your life.

Thanks for sharing your father with us.