Thread: IMPACT Driver

IMPACT Driver

The praise offered by those who have purchased an impact driver has got my interest. Thinking of dropping off some hints to the missus.

Looking at the Ridgid 14 Volt and the Hitachi 12v (on sale at Lowes for $129). But checking out e-bay, I see a few Ridgid 18V impact drivers.

Is the greater voltage a good reason to go with the newer Ridgid model or does it not make much difference?

And which is the preferred brand?

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I went with Makita 14.4 because I have other tools that use the same battery.
    Bigger is better ...... Sometimes .
    A larger size battery usually means more torque and endurance.
    Good hunting.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Jerry

One of the reasons that I went with an impact driver was due to the smaller size than the comparable volt drill. I have the older style 12 Hitachi, the newer one is even shorter in the nose. Two batteries and a charger can more than keep up with me if I'm driving screws steady.

Steve

I have a 14.4 Dewalt. I bought it because I have two Dewalt 14.4 drills. Any of them have enough torque, so go with the system that you have. More batteries is betther tham different batteries.

BTW, As far as hand held power tools, this is the most used one in my shop.

CPeter

Bosch makes a really nifty, small impact driver. I saw it at the Phoenix WW Show - felt great in my hand - I think it was 12 volts. Unless you plan to drive lots of screws, a smaller voltage driver would be easier to handle, IMHO. Check out the Bosch impact drivers here:

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...175970&G=54698
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I think the 14 volt is fine. I'd personally go for the Ridgid becasue of the lifetime service warranty. It even cover the battaries. That is a big deal because that is usually the first thing to go. On a different note would you consider corded? If you aren't using the tool alot it might make sense to skip the cordless tools because the cycling of the batteries won't get done as much.
    JM .02
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

The ridgid got poor marks on battery life in a recent magazine test; heard anecdotal information on another forum confirming that.

I have the Makita 14.4V; what an amazing tool. I can't believe the difference between that and the cordless screwdrivers and drills I have used in the past. Drives a 3.5" wood screw into pressure treated lumber in about 1 sec. Without killing your wrist.

If the choice was ridgid vs panasonic, I would go for the panasonic.

But consider paying a bit more; you can get the Makita drill + impact driver + 2 14.4V battery + flashlight combo for about $214.

http://www.tylertool.com/ma6914coimdr1.html
    Last edited by Tim Marks; 11-25-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Makita Combo Deal

I'm with Tim on this issue. I bought the 14.4 Makita Impact Driver / Drill combo and it is an amazing unit. Light weight, small size and PLENTY of power. These newer style batteries have astounding charge life also. Makita has added the flashlight to the deal since I bought it. Even better bang for the buck. An 18 volt unit would seem VERY heavy after using awhile.

Dar

I probably wouldn't get the 18V because of the weight. If you are building decks, it would probably be worth it for the torque and run time, but for furniture and household projects, I find my 12V Dewalt outlasts me. I bought the 12V because it was on clearance at Lowes, but I probably would've chooseb a 14.4v otherwise.

I have an 18volt Riobi,which is very nice,but if I lived in your neck of the woods,this is the one I would have.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/w.../ey7202gqw.htm
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

I find that a 12 volt is very adequate. If I recall correctly, a 12 volt Makita Impact driver delivers about 900 inch pounds of torque. A 18 volt drill only delivers 450 inch pounds of torque. Based on the power comprisons, I went with the 12 volt impact drivers and have them up to anything I have asked them to do thus far. They have hung a bunch of kitchen cabinets.

I have the 14.4V Bosch which is an impressive unit. It's rare that I get out my 18V drill anymore. The impact drivers are smaller and much lighter, so they are much easier to use and get into tight spaces like rafters.

Once you use one, you won't go back.

chris
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stahl
    I have the 14.4V Bosch which is an impressive unit. It's rare that I get out my 18V drill anymore. The impact drivers are smaller and much lighter, so they are much easier to use and get into tight spaces like rafters.

Once you use one, you won't go back.

chris
    Do you mean the Bosch or the impact driver?
    If you mean the the driver,I couldn't agree more.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.