Thread: Laguna 14bx bandsaw vs 1412

Laguna 14bx bandsaw vs 1412

I know there are lots of online reviews for both the Laguna 1412 bandsaw and the 14bx bandsaw. The only head to head comparison I have seen however is theToolmetrix review on YouTube. Since I used the 1412 for 3 years and have been using the 14bx 2.5hp 220 for a couple of months, I thought I would share my thoughts. First of all I loved the1412 but here are the reasons I prefer the 14bx and believe it is worth the extra money: 1) the single one piece frame; 2) the increase in hp is noticeable particularly in resawing; 3) the dust collection is much better; 4) the brake is truly remarkable and has proved more useful than I had thought. I ordered the 220v 14bx light accessory today and this appears to be superior to the more inflexible 1412 light. As I noted in another thread Laguna had to send me another table as the original table was slightly crowned.I have nothing but good things to say about Laguna customer service however. I was hesitant about upgrading but the 14bx advantages have proven to be very apparent in daily use. I did consider the 18 bx but being able to keep all my blades and the mobility kit was important.

My guess is I'd have been thrilled with the 1412, but opted for the 14bx and love it. I can't ever see going to a saw without a brake again. I had a entry level Delta before and think the jump to the 1412 would have been huge, but the 14bx took the bandsaw from my least favorite tool in my shop to probably my favorite.

Thanks for the input. I have been trying to make a decision while I wait for the next sale.