Thread: New Questions for my FS30c Jointer/Planer

New Questions for my FS30c Jointer/Planer

Now that my FS30c is scheduled to be delivered this week, I have a couple of questions for those of you who own them:

1. Mobility - what do folks use? I used Great Lakes castors on my Agazzani bandsaw and they work well, but then again, it hardly ever moves. Sam mentioned that some folks use a Zambus caster solution.

2. Plug type. At 30A, there are a couple of different plug configurations that I could use. Any reason not to go with 30A twist locks? The rest of my machines only need a 20A circuit so they are a different plug configuration.

Jeff.

Hi Jeff, congratulations on your new machine, you'll love it.

I wouldn't waste money on locking receptacles, use a straight blade device. As an added bonus, most are right angle cord caps so they work better for receptacles mounted on walls....Rod.

The Great Lakes casters are "very similar" to the Zambus casters...for a few shekels less.

I use 30a Twist Locks for all my 30a machinery and 20a twist locks for all my 20a machinery. I also pigtail at the machine so I can completely remove the cord for mobility or for an easily accessible complete disconnect. (Euro machinery tends to have that built in, but you can't beat unplugging for "being sure"... Yes, my method adds a little cost, but it's my personal preference. BTW, I find that I can often source top quality plugs/receptacles for better prices on Amazon than at the 'borg...I can tell you I saved about $15 on the ones for my CNC machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used a dryer plug for my MM16 and FS41.

I use the mobility kit that came with both of them. The jointer has a large Johnson bar that clips in to a hook on the bottom; it feels much more solid than the one that came with the MM16 that hooks into the foot brake. It's still a bit tricky to parallel park sometimes. Also you need to have the table up to get the bar in properly, which is a little bit annoying.

Charles