Thread: Expert Recommendations Needed

Expert Recommendations Needed

First, I have never done turning. I have a chance (if it is still available) to get a HF 34706 3/4HP 12" swing with additional scroll chuck (whatever that is and extra faceplates) for $180. I had been looking at a new Rikon mini, ½HP, 12" swing at $250. I will probably not (in the beginning) be turning massive bowls etc. Should I buy the full size lathe used or a new Rikon?

This has to go into a small area. My shop is 16 x 24 and I already have a tablesaw w/fixed outfeed table, DC, 14" BS, 6"jointer, 12½"planer, DP, router table, ½" shaper, 6x48/9" disc sanding station, 1x42/6" disc sander, full sized bench and a wall bench.

George

Mornin' George! If it were me...meaning, take this with a grain of salt....I would go with the HF....and here are my reasons. First off, it's a full-sized lathe. It will allow you to grow with your projects. Secondly, the headstock rotates so you'll be able to do that platter you always wanted to try. Thirdly...more horsepower.

I've never touched the Rikon so I can't speak from experience....but I did buy the HF for my BIL and he seems very satisfied with it. My only complaint would be the 600 RPM minimum speed. With the bigger gnarly pieces, that might be a bit too fast and the lathe will bounce all over the place before you can get them turned down round and balanced.... Course then, with good anchoring, you could overcome that as well. Seems like a great price too. I think it is normally over $250.

Just my humble and lowly recommendation.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

George,

From all of my research over the past week, John is giving you good advice. If you have room, go for the larger machine. The HF appears to be a lot of bang for the buck.

I had to stay with a smaller machine due to space restrictions, although for my interests, I think it is going to work out just fine in the long run.

George - Be sure to read all the threads in this forum that were started by Bob Noles. He's a week or two ahead of you in the learning curve and these threads are full of a lot of very helpful insight by many talented folks. I helped a little bit, too.
    Only the Blue Roads

Hi George,

I will offer just a little contrarian advice here. Before investing in the HF I would suggest finding someone that can give you a try at turning on their machine and see if it is the right hobby for you. The reason I say this is that I have found that most people that do try turning under the guidance of a mentor learn faster, appreciated the craft more, and are generally better off than the person on their own. Also, you may find that you would prefer to enter the hobby with a slightly different machine than the one you are considering. This is exactly what happened to me. I started off with an acceptable machine but, I knew nothing about the machine I bought, I had only some limited lathe experience and that was gained totally on my own and my first few attempts were less than satisfactory. So, now 4 different lathes later I have found the right machines for me. I am not sorry that I got those first two machines but, it would have been ultimately less expensive and more satisfying had I been mentored by someone prior to my jumping in on my own... Just my thoughtsand my experience.

I just bought a 14" Jet as an upgrade from the Jet Mini I bought 6 months ago. So take my advice, get a full-sized lathe because my 2nd turned bowl was 6" and started at 7" rough. So I ran out of capacity quickly. I've been turning 9.75" bowls on the Mini but that's not the smartest thing. More size, more power. My 'advice' cost me the $200 initial purchase price of my mini.....and I knew how addicting it would be to begin with. I've seen the HF lathe and it's worth the value.