Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What wood for a ping pong table?

I would make it from Baltic Birch plywood with 1/4" hardwood glued to it. The BB is the right size to make half the table. Ping pong table is 9' x 5' and BB 5' x 5'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Brown View Post
    I found the website for that place in Portland: https://www.thegoodmod.com/collectio...nference-table
    Thanks for finding that link Jesse .... One attribute that attracted me to the solid wood table in Norway was the single piece slab. Not sure if I had actually seen a single piece table outside of parks in NYC with concrete or metal tables.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

African Mahogany (Sapele or Khaya species) is pretty stable and seems to have the characteristics your client desires. You may convince him to agree to a plywood top and solid wood legs and support. My local yard sells up 16/4 material. I have to say my first thought was crazy . . but Ipe. It is rock hard, stable and has the right color. It would give him something to brag about to guests. Unfortunately it doesn't glue up well and you would have to resharpen all your bits and blades when done.

Here's one by Bob Clagett from I Like To Make Stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzVJrBOsf0M
    Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 09-18-2018 at 11:10 PM.

John, I considered ipe for a minute, but then thought no. I've made a couple of table tops from salvaged 1" thick ipe fencing, and it's horrible to work with. Plus it's heavy as hell, at 60" x 108" the table would be a slab of concrete.
    That said, I find it glues up very well, using Titebond II.

Michael, thanks for the link. Enjoyed that. However the client envisioned this table as being a solid wood "piece" as opposed to being a functional sports piece.
    And evidently he doesn't envision it strongly enough - I haven't heard back since I sent him my initial ideas. Maybe he's taking up golf instead.

Back in my college days I used to play at a place that had plywood tables and they played very slow compared to a pro table so just be aware that the material and finish can have a big impact of the owner is picky
    Bob C