Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cream concert on the horizon.

Cream concert on the horizon.

Word has it that PBS is going to be broadcasting the Cream reunion concert , recorded last May at the Royal Albert Hall. I have the DVD and the band is better than ever. This is not just a nostalgia thing, this is truly incendiary playing. So if you want to see just how good a live band can be, search out the program on your PBS station, or find the DVD and have a go. Cream is Eri Clapton, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Glad you brought this up. I meant to post a heads up but forgot to. Dont know if it's the same night on all PBS channels but in my area it's this Wednesday night.
    Use the fence Luke

Dan...thanks for the heads up! I have 2 weeks of vacation I have to take before the end of the year or lose............If it's on this Wednesday, I'll take one day then! Thanks again!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dan,
    Let us know as you get dates and times....Thanks.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Dan, thanks, The good old days are still with us Here is the link to the info for time and days on PBS.http://www.pbs.org/previews/gp_cream/
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Dan.....thanks a lot! Scott thanks a lot too! It's on PBS out of Spokane, Wa on Wednesday evening at 9:00 pm. I'll be on vacation..........reliving my late teens and early 20's....probably have a 6 pack of Bud .........just like then.......the difference.....I won't drink all 6.......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Here is a link to the reunion website, lots of pics, old and new, and some background info. This is not the PBS site.

http://www.cream2005.com/thereunion.lasso

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Dan, I replied to your PM, but your mailbox is too full, so I'm posting here as well. Even though I wasn't a real big Cream fan back in the day, I plan to point my TiVo at the PBS concert so I can save a copy of it. It's good to see Ginger Baker cleaned up his act and decided to live to be an old man. I worked for a while with a drummer whose band had opened a concert for Cream way back when, and he said the roadies pretty much had to pour Ginger into the drum set, since he was so out of it on booze and heroin. Apparently once he was on the drum throne, he rocked, but it was all reflex action, since he was far, far away mentally.

Thanks for the heads-up -

- Vaughn

Vaughn---Thanks for the heads up about the mailbox situation, which has now been cleared up.

I think the lads are all cleaned up now, maybe why they sound better.

Jack Bruce came close to death a couple of years ago, was diagnosed with liver cancer, had a transplant but his body rejected it at first, but eventually settled down. I was wondering why he looked so weathered, did a little digging on the web.

Actually, y'all have Tyler Howell to thank, he alerted me of the PBS broadcast. I stumbled upon the DVD a few weeks ago. We had corresponded some time ago of guitars and Mpls. blues bands, so he figured I would be interested in this.

Please give a thought to posting your reaction to the broadcast, I'd be curious to know what you think.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

I have Direct TV and can't seem to find it....any help I would appreciate
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I have Direct TV and can't seem to find it....any help I would appreciate
    KCET is airing it Wednesday at 9PM. I have no idea if/where that maps into DirectTV's channel lineup.

That's the good news. The bad news is, it's part of KCET's quarterly Beg-A-Thon, so it's a tape-and-scan operation for me...almost enough incentive for me to get Tivo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    Jack Bruce came close to death a couple of years ago, was diagnosed with liver cancer, had a transplant but his body rejected it at first, but eventually settled down. I was wondering why he looked so weathered, did a little digging on the web.
    Ah, that explains it: I was a bit surprised by the announcement of this concert, because I thought he was dead.

Dan,

Not having a TV hooked up to anything but the DVD player for the last 7 yrs., I won't be able to see the show on PBS.(I still think of PBS as bandsaws from Wilke.) Where did you get the DVD?

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Ginger and Jazz

GB has had a few pretty good jazz oriented albums ofer the past decades. My favprites are "Middle Passage" and "Falling Off the Roof". It'll be nice to see a new Cream concert. I think I'll be looking for the DVD since our PBS station down here won't be showing it in Hidef or DD.

15. I don't have local channels on my satellite (which has the DVR), but have the national "PBS-U" channel. It doesn't list the concert in the next seven days (in fact, it doesn't list much of anything except for Charlie Rose, Router Workshop and a couple of other shows.) No wonder I never watch PBS.

I get KCET from our local cable provider, but don't have the DVR hooked up to it. I'll skip it since its the beg-a-thon, and I won't be able to fast forward it through the begging. The PBS begging is much more irritating than commercials, in my view. Maybe I can find the DVD in a store (once its safe to venture into a store again!)