Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Biscuit/Plate Joiner?

Which Biscuit/Plate Joiner?

I would be most appreciative of any reccomendations for the above. While in a different league from one another in terms of price, I have read positive things regarding the porter/cable and the lamello top 20 (i think its called). i'd prefer to save the money and purchase the p&c unless the lamello really is better. also willing to consider other brands. thanks much, tony.

I'm happy with the PC

My opinion might be different if I used a biscuit jointer more often, but here it goes. When I was shopping for a biscuit jointer, I narrowed it down to the PC and Dewalt. I didn't consider the Lamello because of the price delta. I ended up choosing the PC because of the face frame biscuit capability. You can use FF biscuits on stock as narrow as 1-1/2" and about 50% of my biscuit jointer use is with FF biscuits. As my woodworking skills have improved I find myself using the biscuit jointer less and less. I no longer use it for edge gluing boards. It gets the most use when assembling face frames and attaching them to the carcass. A lot of folks recommend pocket screws for FF assembly but I'm still happy with FF biscuits. I occasionally use it to assemble plywood carcasses when I'm too lazy to use dadoes. The only negative I can think of is the fence depth scale is difficult to read. There is too much distance between the arrow and the graduations to judge an accurate reading. I always have to do a test cut and adjust before the real thing. Even if the Lamello was better in this regard, I couldn't justify the extra cost in my own mind, based upon the infrequent use and my hobbyist status. The dust chute on my PC is round and can be connected to my shop vac which is important to me. Not sure what other manufacturers have this feature. I'm sure the Lamello is an excellent product, but for me, I'm still satisfied with my choice to buy the PC. Just one man's opinion, hope it helps.

-Todd

I've used both and I can't see where the Lamello is that much better than the PC and the PC is definitely more versatile than the Lamello. The PC will cut FF sized slots which no one else will do (that I know of) and they can be very useful. There is also a difference in the fence in the way that angled slots are cut and the PC has the edge here. Given the price difference it was a no-brainer for me. I bought the PC.

The PC 557 TYPE 3 is the best of the medium priced units. Good fence, good accuracy and a two handed grip that uses one hand to hold the tool onto the workpiece and one hand to slide the cutter in. A definite plus.

CPeter

I bought a Ryobi "el cheapo" to use in my shop a couple of years ago, for less than $100, and have made quite a few cabinets. The cutters can be adjusted for biscuit sizes from #20 down to #00. I only bought the cheap one because that was all I could justify spending at the time. It has paid for itself many times over. It also has a round dust bag connection, which I can connect my shop vac to, using the small round nozzle attachment. I suppose it truly is a matter of how much you can justify spending on a tool, before you actually buy it. In my case, I was cheap. But it has been well worth it.

Tom

I'll toss in a vote for the DeWalt DW682...I liked the PC, and would possibly find the smaller biscuit capability useful, but it was just enough more money that I couldn't justify it for my meager use. The DW has worked very well the times I've used it, and it came with an adaptor to convert the square dust chute (for the bag) to a round one (for the shop vac, which is the way I use it). As I recall from looking in the store, I also liked the depth adjustment mechanism and scale markings on the DW a bit more than the PC. (Taken with the grain of salt that I've not used the PC.)

Just another couple o' pennies worth...exactly that.

- Vaughn

I currently own the DeWalt. Haven't had any trouble with it. The concept behind it is simple. You just have to be sure that the fence on the BJ is square to the tool, and parallel to the blade.
    Keel McDonald ><>

I think they are both very good tools and I have the PC myself but, I find that I use my Kreg pocket screw system more often and the plate joiner very rarely now.

I bought the PC and have been happy with it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hello Tony,

I did a similar evaluation about a year ago and decided on the PC. However, I found a reconditioned DeWalt on Amazon and, since it didn't seem like a tool that would be running constantly (and I've had great luck with factory reconditioned tools) I went with it.

I've used it on several pojects and have been very happy. The power seems to be adequate (although I believe it is less than the PC) and the fence is solid and easy to use. I also like the biscuit size adjuster on the DeWalt.

Overall I'm quite happy. Either tool would work make you happy. I'd probably still go with the PC for the same cost, but the DeWalt is great.

In my experience, finding reconditioned tools for those "every once in a while I need it" situations is a great alternative and you can save a few $$. Factory reconditioned tools come with the full manufactures warrentee.

Regards and best luck.

Michael

I haven't tried the other brands but went with the PC mostly because of the FF size capability, which has come in handy for me.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I too bought a Ryobi and it has been okay considering what I paid for it. It cuts basic biscuit slots fine but the chip extraction is awful. I definitely got what I paid for. I bought it in my early woodworking days. Since then, I've learned like most Creekers to buy the best tool I can afford. However, I temper that with some common sense. I don't buy tools that cost twice as much as the next best option yet offer only a modest improvements in performance, durability and features.

In that vein, I'd buy the PC if I had it to do all over again. I think I would use it more if I had a better quality tool. I've seen the PC and it certainly seems like an excellent choice.
    Last edited by Kent Cori; 11-22-2005 at 9:38 AM.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

13. Biscuit Joiner

I bought the P-C about three years ago, and it has worked great. I liked the FF capability, and the package of 1,000 biscuits that Amazon packaged with it. I bought it with the 1K biscuits for $189 three years ago. I just checked and they are still the same price with the biscuits. I could not justify the price difference of the Lamello. I am very happy with the P-C. Bill

Tony,

I've had my PC for three years now and love it. The FF feature is a real plus.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    I bought the PC a couple years ago, and not only because that was the one I wanted. I just stumbled into a double discount deal at a woodworking show and paid only $155 after a rebate and a discount. I like the idea of being able to use the FF biscuits, but haven't actually used them yet. Like others, I am starting to look for more acceptable applications for pocket holes where I would probably have used biscuit joinery ordinarily. The PC is a good tool, and I especially like the ability to hook up my ShopVac to the dust port and have it work very effectively!