Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiber laser deep engraving on aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne Rusche View Post
    John,
    yeh I’m thinking that really dark black just isn’t possible on aluminum. I can get a somewhat dark grey but that’s about it! I was hoping that there are some settings that I just haven’t found yet that could work! Thanks, Marianne
    Iron in alloys allow you to get black marking. As there’s none in aluminum you won’t get black. You’ll get a dark scorch but not shiny deep black like stainless.
    994A9945-C2CA-4313-BC63-1FB70A038167.jpeg
    355 - 10400 : )

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Stewart View Post
    Iron in alloys allow you to get black marking. As there’s none in aluminum you won’t get black. You’ll get a dark scorch but not shiny deep black like stainless.
    994A9945-C2CA-4313-BC63-1FB70A038167.jpeg
    Neville,
    what you did with, “Jamie, RN” is darker than I have been able to achieve. Do you mind sharing what parameters you used to get it that dark. I know it’s not really deep black but it might be good enough. I think I might have a better handle on deep aluminum engraving but I would also love to make the letters as dark as possible. Again, all this help is really appreciated!
    marianne

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne Rusche View Post
    Bill,
    thanks! Ezcad is VERY frustrating! There’s so many combinations and it seems like a million different ways to set up the parameters! I really do appreciate all the help!!!
    Marianne
    There are so many variables that will give you the same results and they are usually not very intuitive. Some of my best results have been 100% by accident and not by any logical experimenting. The only exception to that is stainless steel color marking - I spent many hours doing test grids and successfully found settings to get a good range of color. The only problem is that the color you get in the .25" test squares isn't the same when you enlarge the area - a 1" square with the same settings may, or may not, give the same color. Chances are it will be a gradient instead of a solid color. That's why color marking stainless is NEVER going to make you any money! Black text is easy, when you find the right settings. Slow, mid-power, mid frequency, tight hatch - .01mm, 2-3mm out of focus, two hatches one at 45 and one at 135, two or three passes.

Just to hi-jack a bit- this is one of my favorite pieces to show people what a fiber is capable of...

BPL3.jpg

plain old black plexiglas, the background detail, love it...

Painfully frustrating these machines can be, but it's a good pain

--enjoy--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

How many ns is the pulse duration on your machine?... and what line space do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Howard View Post
    How many ns is the pulse duration on your machine?... and what line space do you use?
    Hi,
    I’m not sure I know what pulse duration is? I use.02mm line space
    thanks,
    marianne

Hi,
    You can make black mark on anodised aluminium, however, you can not engrave past the anodic coating or you go back to dark grey.
    Black on Anodised.jpg
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

This is about as dark as I've been able to get on aluminum-
    RCG.jpg
    not close to black by any stretch but makes for some nice variables in grays-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle