Thread: Caster Installation Dilemma - Help to fix and design issue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Caster Installation Dilemma - Help to fix and design issue

My workbench is an upcycle. It was a kitchen cart that I converted to a full workbench/desk combo. However the installation of the caster presents a challenge. I have attached two pictures,. The first one shows the workbench (it will store few Festool and wood scraps/squares, measurement tapes, etc plus a small desk drawer for my computer when I use it as a desk (Mo-Fri). It is heavy because mostly made of BB. The other pics shows the joint/built where the casters need to sit (pic 2). Some of the structural wood is not BB. I was trying to use as many scraps I had but I should have thought about the structural pieces and use the most reliable wood (BB). Now I have to screw the caster on pine, oak and ply (PIC 3). Oak will be end grain, the rest edge mount ( and...I know...it is bad). All the bridges (45 degrees) are glued and secured with pocket holes (pic2). I tried to remove them to change and screw the face instead of the edge) but no luck. So my questions are: 1) is it ok to drill 3/8 hole for the bolt screw on the the 3/4 wood edge as per picture 3? 2) should I add a 3/4 square of BB as per other picture 4. If Yes, how do I secure it without adding more mess to a messy design 3) how far from the edge of the cab does the caster need to be (I understand that I need to be able to reach with my foot) but I might be able to have the installation diagonally (creating more base to bite on pc 5)? Thanks
    IMG_6456.JPGIMG_6488.jpgIMG_6495.jpgIMG_6496.jpgIMG_6497.jpg
    Last edited by laura vianello; 09-27-2018 at 12:48 PM.