Thread: Mold on Front Door

Mold on Front Door

We have a Limieux Torrified Mahogany door on the front of the farm. It was finished with Ultra Premium Red Label Penofin as recommended by the manufacturer at the following link:

http://www.treasurevalleydoor.com/TV...aintenance.pdf

Unfortunately it has developed mold on the door due to an incredibly wet summer in Kentucky. The Ultra Premium Red Label Penofin states it doesn't allow mold growth, but ...... The instructions also say the door can be finished with Sikkens Cetol WB SRD?

We are having a dry spell so I am sanding the Penofin.... Any ideas? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Are you sure it is mold and not algae? Before you sand try cleaning it with a soft scrub brush an a solution of white vinegar and Dawn dish soap.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

TSP and bleach will remove mold, algae, and the Penofin w/o sanding. That's how I strip my Penofin coated deck.

I used Sikkens Cetol Door and Window finish on an exterior door that gets direct sun, rain, snow, etc. One winter and two summers now and it still looks great. I'm not sure about the Cetol WB SRD product you are considering. I think you will have the same problem again. The Door and Window product is more of a film former product, less susceptible to mold/algae growth, yet chalks off as it weathers to avoid blistering/peeling.

John

Get some of this. It is amazing. The north side of my home had algae/moss growing on it. I had started power washing and it was very slow going. I got a 2 qt jug of this at Wally World. You attach it to a garden hose and spray it on. I applied a liberal dose of it and went inside for about 15 minutes. I came back out and it was literally running down in streaks. I hit it once more and it was all gone. I had spent a couple hours with the power washer and was getting nowhere. This made short work of it. In about 20 minutes I had the whole north end cleaned. I next attacked the north side of my shop building because I had never done anything with it ever. It took 3 applications to totally clear it of the algae/moss. But it was 18 years of build up. I see they have a hand held spray bottle as well. This stuff is the real deal.

walmart.com/ip/Mold-Armor-E-Z-House-Wash-64-fl-oz-Jug/102267772?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13 =197&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl 3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9022429&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl1 0=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=102267772&wl13=197&veh=s em&gclid=CjwKCAjworfdBRA7EiwAKX9HeBscPCJn7hdGDMMhS U03E9y0z_GLAecIaVe0R4JgDyKKS0ZhHMZCFBoCLewQAvD_BwE