Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimono Style Work Coat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kimono Style Work Coat?

I was watching a youtube vid on Japanese WW and the guy was wearing an awesome kimono style denim shop coat. Im wondering if anyone here knows where I can find one of these?

Kimono? I think of kimonos as having big floppy sleeves -- not the best thing in a woodshop. Maybe you could post a screen grab from the video?

Lost the location of the vid. It's a full cross front for coverage, with tighter sleeves than the norm and was no danger.. It was regular denim. I suppose I could substitute a Judo Gi, but I think this work coat had a pocket in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Lost the location of the vid. It's a full cross front for coverage, with tighter sleeves than the norm and was no danger.. It was regular denim. I suppose I could substitute a Judo Gi, but I think this work coat had a pocket in front.
    When in YT look at you watch history and you will find it again.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Derek,
    The garment you're looking for is called a Samue. Here is a reference to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samue

They were originally work clothes worn by monks. There is some spiritual and meditative meaning that goes along with them. I think you can find them on Amazon (US) or definitely Amazon.jp. You'll find other places that sell them online too.

I see them all over the place here in Tokyo. Also popular is a work apron that simply ties around the waist.

Good luck in your search,
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Derek,
    The garment you're looking for is called a Samue. Here is a reference to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samue

They were originally work clothes worn by monks. There is some spiritual and meditative meaning that goes along with them. I think you can find them on Amazon (US) or definitely Amazon.jp. You'll find other places that sell them online too.

I see them all over the place here in Tokyo. Also popular is a work apron that simply ties around the waist.

Good luck in your search,
    Edwin
    Edwin, thanks so much. Yep...that's it. And ya, I'm sure they are common in Japan. Now that I have a name, hopefully it'll be easier to find.

Dude,that is what hoodies are for..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Dude,that is what hoodies are for..
    Been there...done that.

I've only ever noticed folks using that kind of clothing for hand-tool work. I'd be interested in actually seeing a photo of what you are considering.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like a dentist coat with a wrap over front so the buttons do not hit the patient in the face? I think some cooks coats are similar.

Like what Judo or Karate guys wear, only in denim. You're right about the hand tool guys. I think that's where I saw it.

OK...this guy's wearing something very close to what I originally saw..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw6XHcAQIc

By the way...this guy is crazy! Watch the end, when he's fitting the drawers so perfectly, that when he pushes on in, another slides out! Insane!

Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville