Thread: Repairing a cutting board

Question Repairing a cutting board

A coworker has asked me to repair a maple cutting board that has split. It isn't anything fancy but it has personal value because they received it as a wedding gift from a significant person in their lives 27 years ago. It is made of 1" wide strips glued together. The glue joint between 2 sections has failed. It should be simple to repair - joint both halves, biscuit and glue it, and sand it back smooth.

What glue have you found to work well for cutting boards that take daily use and abuse?
    JB

Titebond

all the way. Thats all I use. They do make a titebond2 that is water proof also. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Baker
    What glue have you found to work well for cutting boards that take daily use and abuse?
    I recommend Titebond II (or similar type 2 PVA from the manufacturer of your choice). Type II PVA is water resistant after curing which is important for something that will occasionally get washed. Regular Titebond will soften if it gets wet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Titebond II

I have made or overseen the making of dozens of cutting boards. Never have a failure when using Titebond II.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi