Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

I Had A Nice Long Weekend. Spent Thur., Fri. With Family Obligations. Sat. Watched Some Football And Cleaned Up My Shop. Sunday Church In The Morning, Then Got In The Shop To Finish Cleaning. Then I Finished A 20.5" Chip & Dip Platter. I Will Post When I Find My Camera.

Me, I'm trying very hard to get my new shop built. Got the siding on and the facia all trimmed out. Now I proceed inside for the REAL work. Electrical comes first. Then insulation, etc. I'll make it some day.

Brad

This was the first weekend in months that I didn't do any "work" work at all. (OK, I did check my office e-mail Friday from home, but no work for a change.)

Thursday was pretty used up making and eating Thanksgiving dinner. (I'm the cook in the house, so I made the whole thing.) Friday we got the Christmas lights up outside and did other yard-related chores. Saturday and Sunday were spent mostly with other chores like touching up the asphalt cement on the roof penetration flashings, helping LOML report some large plants, with a trip to Rockler and some shop time interspersed throughout. I've got 3 or 4 separate things in progress, and managed to work on all of them without drawing any blood. Also did some cleaning and organizing in the shop, although to the untrained eye, it's still a mess. Lots of shop time planned between now and Christmas.

- Vaughn

I don't enjoy the shopping panic I've wittnessed with Black Friday and the weekend so the plan was to relax and make a dent in the turkey dinner leftovers. BUT, we like to feed (and see) the birds at the feeders so when I spotted an add for black sunflower seed at $6.86/bag I decided I'd fight the crowd for the sake of the birds. I stocked up @ the 5 bag (250 lbs.) limit which I expect will last til April and was almost clean out of the store when I spotted a tool (air compressor).... I'll save it for when I actually take delivery.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Got in a fight with a carcase

I had a terrible struggle Friday with a carcase I'm building. It has a mortise and tenoned face frame with a quirk and bead profile on the inside of the door and drawer openings. My first attempt at cutting the mortise and tenon and mitering the quirk and bead profile by hand was a disaster - nothing fit right. I fiddled with it for hours with no success and went to bed Friday night despondent. I have 10 of those suckers to cut, so Saturday was looking bleak. I got up Saturday morning after having slept on the problem and re cut the joint. It went together perfectly. WOW, what a relief! I had to work my day job Saturday afternoon and Sunday, so I haven't finished the face frame, but I feel a lot better about it than I did on Friday night.
    The rest of the weekend is a blur of turkey, dressing, squash, apple pan dowdy, etc, etc. Oh, too much food! Too many pounds!

Spent some quality time with the better half this weekend and it was great to get to knowing each other again. Been spending to much time in the shop, she said.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

spent the weekend with my kids and getting to know the lathe better. They really enjoy it. (well pen turning mostly) Worked on the curly maple a little. But mostly chillaxed around the house.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Great Weekend!

Went to Boston, and saw the Flyers play the Bruins in the Garden, and then stayed in Boston. The hotel was two blocks from the Garden, and there 8 Irish pubs between the Garden and the hotel, so I had to try a Guiness in each one. It was a quality check. They all passed. One was suspect, so I had to have two in that one.
    Went to Quincy Market, and Fanueil Hall. Stayed away from the Commons, and just had a nice time.

Looking to see the Flyers play the Lightning in Philly. That will really be a weekend. Cheesesteaks and Guiness. Does it get any better than that?

Drive, Drive, Drive!!

Drive from East Jordan to South Haven, MI to spend time with my mom and eat. Drive to Chicago for annual Thanksgiving day meditation and another dinner to eat. Drive to Lansing, MI and spend the day with #2 son, who is finding himself, oh, and eat. Drive back to East Jordan, MI to have 2 days all by myself, oh yea, and eat. Started putting in insulation in the new shop. No heat yet, but that's what sweaters are for.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Blog Entries
    The weekend included winterizing a walk behind mower and a lawn tractor mower. Been meaning to get to them for about a month now. Raked an enormous amount of leaves from the yard with my wife. Been meaning to get to that for about three weeks. Strung christmas lights on the house. An annual favor to the better half - me, I could care less. And oh yes, worked on milling a bunch of poplar and gluing up said poplar for the fixed shelf portions of the two identical corner hutches that I am making for my brother.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Spent the week end milling up some popular and walnut for a paint cabinet for SWMBO. Also started to work on an over-head blade guard. I'll post pics when it's finished.