Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Again, trying to get the pics in about the benches

Again, trying to get the pics in about the benches

Last night I posted these but they wouldn't show up and before I could get them uploaded to the right place the whole post got deleted. I'll try again to see if I can do this by the proper method.

My 8th and 9th grade agri mechanics students have constructed these benches for a community service project for our city 150 year celebration and for our state ffa camp in Hot Springs. I have taught the students to weld and woodwork and cad work all year along with the other items in the curriculum. They ( and I ) have worked over the last two weeks to construct these using 1 1 /2 11 guage square tubing and 1/8" sheet steel as well as 5/4 deck lumber. Now I know this ain't all woodwork but I think it still applies. They have used lots of ww tools and a Miller 130 mig welder and a plasma cam cnc machine to do the metal art. The first one here is for the city sesquecintenial (SP) celebration and there will be 6 of those. The students will be coming back this summer on a volunteer basis to help finish the project.

The second pic here is a closeup of the plasma art in the back of the bench. It is a representation of the logo used to promote the 150 year celebration. A lot of work went into drawing this in the cad program. Several students were involved in this drawing.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

just more pics

A

couple more pics of the benches for the ffa camp.
    Last edited by Jim Hager; 05-25-2006 at 9:58 PM.

Very Nice Jim!!!!!! So when are you opening up a complete metal working shop?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Jim, You and your students did great work. You should do a press release to the local papers. I'm sure they would love to 'report' on some good news. Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Very Nice Jim!!!!!! So when are you opening up a complete metal working shop?
    I've given it some thought actually. I've been runnin a pretty good metal shop at work (school) for years and years and years. I still plan to give that up before long though.

I would buy me one of these Plasma Cam cutters but wood dust and hot metal and plasma spray don't really get along too good. Things could get "fired" up, if you know what I mean. Just a proud teacher showing off what a bunch of 8th and 9th graders can do when they put their mind to something.

Real nice benches Jim. Looks like you got a great bunch of young adults to work with too.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Excellent Jim, looks like you have done a great job with your students. Congrats!

Corey

Very nice results. Good pics too. Thanks
    Jerry

really cool jim! it`s great to see kids building! tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Nice Jim! You and your students should be very proud of yourselves.

I did a lot of metalwork in high school and a long range objective of mine is to take it up again and to combine metal and woodwork in projects. Your work here serves as an inspiration.

Beautiful work Jim. You and your students are to be commended for this type of work and training. It seems each time I pick up a woodworking publication these days, another school system is doing away with their wood, welding or shop classes.
    Keep up the great work. I can see some professionals in the wood industry coming out of this program.

Beautiful!

You and your students should be proud. It is good to see the next generation concerned with craftsmanship.

Great work!

Ron Robinson

Great job for you and your students. You for having the patience to teach and them for putting the effort to learn and use for a community project. Some day they will point out the benches to their kids and say "I did that". We need more programs like this. Keep it up.

First of all, thanks for being a teacher, a very noble profession. And teaching junior high is probably the toughest job one can have. I just wanted to say thanks for what you do for your students.

The benches are awesome.

John
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory
    First of all, thanks for being a teacher, a very noble profession. And teaching junior high is probably the toughest job one can have. I just wanted to say thanks for what you do for your students.

The benches are awesome.

John
    You are right about the jr. high age group for sure for sure!!! I call them hormones on wheels I love doing what I do so I guess that is why I do it.

Thanks for your comments and to the rest of you guys as well. One of the things I was after in this project was the comment that John Timberlake made that the kids would be able to say " I did that" when they are older and have kids of their own.

Frank you might had as well to take the plunge and get into this metal/wood thing. It is sorta fun.